What's a good vehicle for off-road?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@0xDEADBEEF how old are your kids? Teens? My wife is not at all the outdoors type of person, but I think she'll be okay with idea if kids come along...

Yeah, they are sophomores in high school. We used to do a lot of overlanding trips when they were younger. I had an "expedition trailer" with a big roof top ten we all piled in.

Jerryred94silvy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I saw this thread and had to chime in with my own personal daily driver/off-road machine.
Is it good for hardcore off-roading? Not at all. It’s just capable enough to surprise people who think I can’t make it where the big trucks go. The looks I get are priceless.

So without further ado, for shites and grins, I present to you….the Subaru Impreza:

Attachments

• C02BF852-08F5-4E3C-9FD0-F19AA129DC50.jpeg
    C02BF852-08F5-4E3C-9FD0-F19AA129DC50.jpeg
    350.8 KB · Views: 7

Trenton

Just a Texan transplanted in the Rockies
Reaction score
I saw this thread and had to chime in with my own personal daily driver/off-road machine.
Is it good for hardcore off-roading? Not at all. It’s just capable enough to surprise people who think I can’t make it where the big trucks go. The looks I get are priceless.

So without further ado, for shites and grins, I present to you….the Subaru Impreza:
Ayyyyyyyye I have a Subaru too! SUBIE GANG

You must be registered for see images attach

DonYukon

Dont stop until it sounds expensive
Reaction score
An H3 is built on the Colorado platform. An H2 is a Tahoe with a body kit. Unless you're buying an H1, you're paying extra for the Hummer name without any reason.

the H3 is a colorado platform, if he goes that route try an source a Alpha Variant with the 5.3

The H2 on the other hand is much more than a tahoe with a body kit. they have bigger axles (14 bolt IIRC) with Lockers a 6.0 and if memory serves me right a 6L80E trans. out of the box they are stout as hell. I used to wheel with the guys over at H20 forum and IF it were me Id take a H2 over a H1. reason is price the only real benifit stock is you have Portal axles and on board air (some of them) but the 6.5s are gutless and the cabin is cramped.

just my 02 cents

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the H3 is a colorado platform, if he goes that route try an source a Alpha Variant with the 5.3

The H2 on the other hand is much more than a tahoe with a body kit. they have bigger axles (14 bolt IIRC) with Lockers a 6.0 and if memory serves me right a 6L80E trans. out of the box they are stout as hell. I used to wheel with the guys over at H20 forum and IF it were me Id take a H2 over a H1. reason is price the only real benifit stock is you have Portal axles and on board air (some of them) but the 6.5s are gutless and the cabin is cramped.

just my 02 cents
So your post got me to do some research, and they got 6.0's and 4L60"s at first, 08 up got a 6.2 and a 6L. Rear axle is a 9.5 12 bolt.
I still say it's a dressed up Tahoe, but it seems they're more capable after the update.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
So your post got me to do some research, and they got 6.0's and 4L60"s at first, 08 up got a 6.2 and a 6L. Rear axle is a 9.5 12 bolt.
I still say it's a dressed up Tahoe, but it seems they're more capable after the update.

Overhangs/approach angle will be much better on the H2. They're also GMT-800 HD-based up front. Rear axle wouldn't be a 12 bolt, but a 14 semi-floater.

I saw one a few weeks ago with rust on it..... that was weird. I don't see them often anymore. I suspect those that have them aren't using them for DD.

I worked with a guy, back when they were new, that had one. He frequnted a gravel pit with it, and tried driving through water that he had been threw before.... except this time it was deeper, MUCH deeper, and he didn't know it. Insurance covered it, but they weren't happy.... it was totaled.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Overhangs/approach angle will be much better on the H2. They're also GMT-800 HD-based up front. Rear axle wouldn't be a 12 bolt, but a 14 semi-floater.

I saw one a few weeks ago with rust on it..... that was weird. I don't see them often anymore. I suspect those that have them aren't using them for DD.

I worked with a guy, back when they were new, that had one. He frequnted a gravel pit with it, and tried driving through water that he had been threw before.... except this time it was deeper, MUCH deeper, and he didn't know it. Insurance covered it, but they weren't happy.... it was totaled.
Agreed on the approach and departure angles.
Axle shows a 12 bolt online.