What's a good vehicle for off-road?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DonYukon

Dont stop until it sounds expensive
Reaction score
Agreed on the approach and departure angles.
Axle shows a 12 bolt online.

thats strange... I wonder if there were different builds of them. all i know for a fact is out of the 4 H2s out there all had 14 bolt axles that by the owners accounts come factory. as for the transmission I did just look into it and yes intially they came with a 4L65E paired with the 6.0 and later a 6.2 paired with a 4L80E .

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thats strange... I wonder if there were different builds of them. all i know for a fact is out of the 4 H2s out there all had 14 bolt axles that by the owners accounts come factory. as for the transmission I did just look into it and yes intially they came with a 4L65E paired with the 6.0 and later a 6.2 paired with a 4L80E .
It's entirely possible that the research I did is wrong.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Agreed on the approach and departure angles.
Axle shows a 12 bolt online.

I don't see anything that refers to it being a 12-bolt. I can count 12 holes in the cover drawing, but that's a just a horrible GM illustration like they all are. GM hasn't used the 12 bolt since the 80's that I know of. I'm not sure that GM recognizes the "bolt" designations any way. They're usually referred to by ring gear diameter.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
its also entirely possible that the research i did was wrong. everything on the internet you read is true though soo.... lol the one thing im sure of is the axles at a minimum the rest who knows
As far as I know, the H2 got the 4L65e (earlier models had the 4L60e) and 6L80e with the later engine option. The rear axle is the GM 14 bolt 9.5 semifloat with some special sway bar. The front axle is the GM 9.25 IFS. That's really all I know about them. Actually, now that I think about it, it is the only vehicle GM ever produced without the 4L80e on 8 lug wheels in this generation. Not sure what the logic was there... Even the Silverado 1500HD had the 4L80e (that one also had 8 lug, and I think it was closer to the 2500, than any 1500 or the era.)

Here's what it looks like:
The diff. cover has 14 bolts, but no idea how many bolt on the ring gear?

Only the HMMWV had the 4L80e (and the TH400), but those vehicles are completely different altogether.

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see anything that refers to it being a 12-bolt. I can count 12 holes in the cover drawing, but that's a just a horrible GM illustration like they all are. GM hasn't used the 12 bolt since the 80's that I know of. I'm not sure that GM recognizes the "bolt" designations any way. They're usually referred to by ring gear diameter.
The bolts refer to the number of bolts holding the ring gear onto the carrier, not the number of bolts on the rear cover. Except that due to decades of people mis-identifying, now some rear ends are known by their cover bolts. With GM rear ends you pretty much have to know the specific rear end you're dealing with and identify it with multiple specs.

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Depends on what kind of off road you’re doing.…..one of the best all around off road vehicles are 4Runners. They have huge aftermarket support and are reliable vehicles.
you could also look for a Nissan Pathfinder or Exterra

personally I would get a 4 seater side by side like a Polaris. You can upfit it it for long range adventure, hunting, day trip…etc. they aren’t going to need to be smogged, repairs are easier as they simply dont have the more complicated smog and safety systems that a car has.

F4U-1A

Early spring 24
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Circa 1983, my buddy Frenchy had left Mining School to become a Diamond Driller in Northern Ontario. He came back with a spanking new Toyota 4Runner. We pulled our first moose out with that. Good Times. (my other post. Those were the days my Friend).