1998 k2500 light duty off-roading

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

twils3

Reaction score
Well I may as well post some of the small and maybe interesting other jobs that have taken me away from fixing this truck.
You must be registered for see images attach

Half ton truck turned into a trailer with a rack all built from scrap, I did this in trade for my buddy to do my front end work.

The diff on my hunting buddy’s truck he blew up day one of our trip, may have been the same road that cracked my leaf springs. He ended up driving that truck 45+ kms out of the bush like that.

twils3

Reaction score
Trucks back from the shop after getting the Leaf srpings done hurt paying the 1400 for it all to get done but time is not a thing i have right now. Trucks riding better and sitting a few inches higher now, Wondering if anyone knows the stock distances from axle to Bump stop for the Front and Rear.

twils3

Reaction score
May have been some confusion with the shop as i was just looking up the part number for these springs and they are rated for 2025 lbs and i was under the impression the ones we were replacing them with were 2235 lbs ones same as the factory ones. will have to clear up tomorrow im sure they will do fine, worst case Ontario ill have to put bags in the really only worry is the loggers box weighs around 1000 lbs.

twils3

Reaction score
Finally back working on the 98’ I’ve been having brake issues the rear brakes have been sticking and binding. The fronts aren’t much better and no pad life.

After getting the rears off I found the adjuster on the passenger side was seized and on the backing plate are some gouges on the wear surface. I’ll have more photos tomorrow.

twils3

Reaction score
I was able to get the rear brakes back to normal operation and the shoes have lots of life so I'm going to run them for another year, in the front the rotors will just get resurfaced and new pads, lines and calibers.

twils3

Reaction score
Rears are all finished up test drove fine today wasn’t able to get the front apart due to rain and working outside and being kind of soft.

Picked up a cheap set of steel wheels I like a bit more for 125 bucks

I will be stripping the paint off them and redoing them once we get some nice weather. All my front end parts from rockauto showed up today new pads calibers and lines they also had k&n oil filters on sale for 3 dollars so grabbed a few of those.

twils3

Reaction score
Well was able to finally wrap up all the brake work today working around the rain, snow and hail we’ve had over the last few days well working in the forest I call my garage haha.

Found that the passenger caliber was quite seized and the one pad was worn right down and full of cracks.

I ended up getting new rotors for both sides and new wheel studs. After the test drive no more brake issues, it’s a big difference in braking so far. Hopefully now I can get onto some more of the fabrication projects and fun stuff like new rims and tires.

twils3

Reaction score
Started doing some fab work on the truck I picked up a set of seats from a 2006 trailer blazer so tried my hand at building mounts for those. Not as simple as I first thought but got it done. Will be building a center console next time off.

I did how ever find some rust on the floor boards so going to have to address that, ordered some kilmat to help keep the noise down.

Getting in and out of the back seat isn't the best with these seats but it's mostly used for storage anyhow.

twils3

Reaction score
2 weeks ago now after mostly finishing the seats up, I had jumped right into building the roof top tent bed rack with no real design in mind just wanted to keep it simple and not to stick out to much yet high enough I could walk under it without ducking down. I used 3x1x1/8 and 1x1x1/8 for all the rack.
I angled the uprights to match the sides of the cab.
im still undecided if I like the width that I put the 1x1s at.
the tent seemed sturdy and in a good location I choose it to open on the passenger side as the gas cap is on the drivers
I am now working on installing and buying pieces for the led lights on the rack and for the front of the truck. Hopefully will be putting it to the test come May. All and all fairly happy it can support me and my 225lbs jumping on each bar independently.