What to do if your brakes fail?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, I watched that part where he throws it into park and you can definitely hear some clicking. I guess that parking pawl couldn't engage into the spinning reluctor wheel in the transmission, if his transmission is similar to the GMT 400 transmissions.

Not sure what happens hydraulically when vehicle is moving forward and you put in Park. I thought in a regular vehicle you'd stall the engine?

It also seemed to me that when he threw it in Park the engine actually sounded like it increased in RPM.

Note to self: Never Ever spend $220,000, 20 years of my life and 2 wives on a vehicle!

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I didn't realize that until Uncle Tony's video. Park was just stupid. He was going several times the speed Park would actually catch. I don't recall why, by I've had Park skip in my short driveway. It sounds like a big ratchet.
One little piece of steel holdin back thousands of pounds of steel. Don't worry it's totally safe!

1ton-o-fun

Automotive Durability Tester
Reaction score
Like a lot of you, I don't understand how a "car guy" has ZERO car-guy instincts.
My dad had a turd brown '78 Buick Regal. Stock white wall tires and wire hubcaps, but had a mild 400 sbc under the hood. I was surprising a guy in a '80 Trans Am when the throttle stuck. I turned it off and stopped safely. I was 16.

F4U-1A

Early spring 24
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a $100 88 Mazda b2200 (pre ranger) n drove it home with no brakes. Took highway and luckily it was a 5spd. Didn't know brakes were out til I got off highway onto US 36. Blew thru stop sign. Comin up to intersection I grabbed e brake and nothin. Just kept Rollin. Was lucky there wasn't much traffic. Rest of way I just downshifted cuz there were no stop signs rest of way home. Some dumb luck all my brake failures since have been while movin the vehicles around in driveway.
I paid $ 8000 Can for my Mazda, new 1987 2.2, Out the door. So much F .. Fun.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Like a lot of you, I don't understand how a "car guy" has ZERO car-guy instincts.
My dad had a turd brown '78 Buick Regal. Stock white wall tires and wire hubcaps, but had a mild 400 sbc under the hood. I was surprising a guy in a '80 Trans Am when the throttle stuck. I turned it off and stopped safely. I was 16.

There are people that like cars/trucks but aren't very mechanical. I know it's kinda weird.

Donald Mitchell

1990 C1500 5.7L
Reaction score
I had a bad time when I was very young and stupid but could turn a wrench. I had a 70 malibu and put a 454 in it with an L88 cam L78 intake and Holley 750. It was very fast but I didn't know a thing about brake fade. Left my house one day and got on it pretty good and as I was aproaching an intersection i hit the brakes and I swear the car sped up. Luckily no one was there and I went through the fire department parking lot and then a grass field and stopped in a church yard. I learned my lesson and thank god no one was in my way.