What maintenance do you do yourself?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And change bulbs to LEDs - without resistors - of course.
Damn near if it's a 2020 Ram classic!!!!
But back to the OP. Buy a manual, and start picking away at it. Do the "easy" stuff first, plugs, oil, coolant etc. Build up your confidence and you will get better with each task. And you can learn a lot on this site. Have fun and good luck.

Attachments

• 20210409_153916_HDR.jpg
    20210409_153916_HDR.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 7

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Aboit the only thing I dot do is rebuild the transmission or machine machine work on a engine. Other than that I diy everything. I bought a 4 post lift and a Autoenginuity program and I have every tool needed for 99% of automotive work.
I’ve maintained my fleet of vehicles for 30 years. My investment has paid for itself 10x over

baxterday

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do pretty much everything myself. I can't afford to take it anywhere. I have a background in auto mechanics and enjoy maintaining my vehicles, motorcycles included.

1madmouse

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have always done my own maintenance for about the last 53 years before seatbelts and stereos, and fancy wheels, but out of necessity. Most of the family is automotive orientated in some way, so I had some brains to pick. I believe if you have the time, you 'll feel better doing the smaller stuff yourself, and you will learn to know your truck better. The 400 series and maybe the 800 are the last ones you can really do most of yourself before they made them sensor nightmares.

Ardyh

Reaction score
I agree with all the DIY. Thinger2 made good points. I've had my 2000 C3500 for ten years or more and most maintenance is easy. As the miles add up the truck will let you know what needs fixing.
My recent repairs include:
Squeeky belt , turned out to be alternator bearings. Replaced the bearings.....
Right rear brake locking up. After 250k miles the wheel cylinder was leaking. Replaced them both at $20 each delivered. I had to use a bottle jack against the frame and a sledge hammer on the axle to get the driver side off. Very gratifying when it did come loose.
Currently replacing the A/C evaporator. It can be done without removing the dash.
Some tips to help keep it running smooth.
Remove the fan clutch from the water pump. Once it's off put anti-seize on the threads.
Replace the factory plastic distributor with an aluminum one. Cheap works.
Replace the timing chain and gears. Don't put a double row chain on like I did.
I'm sure there are more tips but as others said this is a great truck platform. I've had Chevy trucks for may years and this one just keeps going and lasing longer than the older versions. Even cheap things like door handles that break are cheap and easy to replace.

GMTMark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I do everything myself unless something needs welding. I hate exhaust work so on the rare occasions I need that I sometimes take it to a shop. I've rebuilt engines, transmissions, real axles, front suspensions. I'm a lot older now so I'm slow but I have other vehicles to drive. Far as only my truck I rebuilt the rear axle and transmission and replaced the dash and carpet inside and did a rear disk conversion that I absolutely love. Mine was a one-owner and I know the previous owner very well. He is meticulous about maintenance. The main thing most people are lacking is the proper tools. So many special tools are needed for certain things. Next I plan to do a leak-down test on the engine, electric fans and some front suspension work. The last thing is paint and body. I'm also physically disabled so if I can do these things myself then anybody can. It's just a matter of what you WANT to do. Normal maintenance is not a problem and you can save tons of money. Anybody feel free to ask if you think I can help.

GMTMark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I use to do about 90% of that stuff but its hard to find time to do it anymore. for me its cheaper to pay someone else as Id have to take off work to do it. Like currently my 92 is getting a parasitic draw test and a front end rebuild done to it .
I have been where DonYukon is, much too busy to do my own. Just keep looking for a reliable shop (if they're real cheap please beware). I'm retired now and I keep myself busy with my vehicles. Most of the time it's relaxing; if it gets to me I just quit for awhile.

DonYukon

Dont stop until it sounds expensive
Reaction score
I have been where DonYukon is, much too busy to do my own. Just keep looking for a reliable shop (if they're real cheap please beware). I'm retired now and I keep myself busy with my vehicles. Most of the time it's relaxing; if it gets to me I just quit for awhile.
I actually always enjoyed working on my own stuff too but yes a good reliable fair mechanic is a gold mine if you find the right one

RedneckWithPaychecks

454/350 x (4x4)²
Reaction score
Those are for Ford Triton engine too.... I know dyed in the wool FoMoCo guys that hate those things.
Don't get me started on spark plugs on 4.2 Essex trucks, I had to scrap one from spark plugs. Had a E250 van for work, did plugs on it and snapped one. That combined with walmart tools made me go insane