What in tank fuel pump should I use in 5.3 ls swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rlnban81

Reaction score
I have a 97 k1500 work a 5.3 with all the factory cpu and fuel injection..it has the stock in tank pump for the 5.7 vortec still in it..the truck starts and runs fine till it warms up then it stays back firing and I think it's because the fuel pump isn't getting the correct amount of fuel and needs a different pump..any body had this problem?

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Um, not an expert by any means, but are you sure it's the fuel pump not delivering enough fuel? Also, I believe you need to upgrade to the 0411 ECU. I was going to say check to see if you had any SES codes, but not sure how you wired it up.

What I would do is find yourself a fuel pressure gauge and hook it up to the fuel pressure rail Schrader valve. Check to see if your fuel pressure drops any after your engine starts having problems. I bet it's something else like a sensor or your computer. I "think" the GMT-400 may have fuel delivery issues on the 5.3 but at WOT. Maybe, don't know.

Also, doesn't hurt to replace the fuel filter if you haven't already done so. Easy to replace and inexpensive.

mn_ski

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have never done the swap myself but in this youtube from Pro Performance they talk about they did with the stock fuel pump.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm running stock fuel pump in my 99 c3500 with a 5.3 and have no issues

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a stock Vortec 350 pump feeding a 500+ HP engine. Same pump came with the Ramjet 502.