What are you running?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T DOG

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I will be using this subwoofer since i already have it.

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?t=2&products_id=29

It has a 4.375" mounting depth and only needs 0.35ft³ so I think I should be able to come up with a small downfiring box that will fit under the rear seat. However, I've never made an enclosure so it will have to be a very simple design.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
This is what's being put back in my 95:
Aiwa 360 head unit 1.5 DIN
4.0 cu ft slot ported enclosure
PA 1700w RMS monoblock class-T
PA 1700w RMS 15" dvc-2ohm
0ga power/ground wires
8ga speaker wires to sub
twin 120amp alts
twin 1800cca batteries by Bosch
Big-3 1ga welding leads

My yota has:
Pioneer DEH-63BT head unit
RF Power components
RF T300D amp
RF T3 dvc 2ohm 15"
RF-supplied slot ported enclosure
180amp alt
Big-3 4ga
0ga power/ground
10ga speaker wires to sub

Previous system in '95:
Same Aiwa 360 head unit as above
1" diameter power/ground wires
4ga speaker wires to subs
Lossless RCA cables
(2) MTX T6000
(2) Stage-3 Fi BTL 18" dvc-1ohm
12.1 cu ft slot ported enclosure tuned to 32.5Hz
(4) Bosch 1800
PA-10000K epicenter
Dell Craptop

narizon

Reaction score
T DOG,nice sub should do very well for you.They make great stuff.Just take your time with the box,plan it out right=measurements & it will come out perfect for you.
Some 3/4" MDF or if you can some Birch ply with at least some 1.5" drywall screws/wood glue to seal it tight.Also if you have access to some clamps would help you out plenty.For a small box like I would use 1 1/2" x1/4x20 stainless bolts for terminals just because you can put them any were in the box for easy wiring/clean look.

Post some pics of the handy work

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
T DOG, what is the RMS and peak watts for that sub? I didn't see it on the specs page. The reason I ask is because it makes a small difference in what you can use to build your box.

narizon, don't you think 1/2" MDF would be just fine?

The reason most people go with 3/4" MDF, is because they're worried about it flexing. That is, the air pressure inside changing so greatly from the movement of the sub cone, that it will bend or break your box. So unless you're going to have a high powered sub, that you're going to be cranking, I think 1/2" MDF should be fine. It's not because it's cheaper, it's because, when using thinner wood for making your box, that extra 1/4" in all directions makes a significant difference in the internal volume of the enclosure. I used 1/2" on mine, and it hasn't budged. The box is pretty solid. Also, if you want a cleaner look, you can use dowels and wood glue at your joints, so you don't see any screw heads when you close it up. That's also how I did mine, and it's sealed tight.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
if you want a cleaner look, you can use dowels and wood glue at your joints, so you don't see any screw heads when you close it up.

Or...you can cover it using the same type & color of carpet that's a match to what's already in your truck. But, it can be hard to work with if you don't have much experience with it.
Or...you can use what's called 'trunk carpet'. The stuff that is in the newer cars. Much easier to work with, 'cause it can be stretched somewhat.
Either way, it'll make your box sound a liitle bit more solid, & it'll help to make it disappear. Dont forget to put some kind of stuffing in the box. You can do this real cheap by ripping apart an old winter jacket & using the insulation from it.

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
Dont forget to put some kind of stuffing in the box. You can do this real cheap by ripping apart an old winter jacket & using the insulation from it.

Ok, I didn't do this. I heard mixed reviews about it. One of the main arguments that made me decide not to is: the box is supposed to provide sound resonance, why would you want to muffle and slow down the sound waves from the sub by using a filler inside your box?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I was told to do this when I first started messing with stereos. Had boxes with, & without. I find that it reduces the reverb. I don`t stuff or pack the box full. Just a bit, loosely dropped in.