What are you running?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
What's your system like? Stock, conservative, mild or wild? Looking for opinions
(good & bad) of what you have found. Personally, I am looking to do 2 subs and 1 amp. I'm powering component speakers with my deck. Is this wrong? Better to run an amp for the components? :rocking:

TruckinAin4Sissies

L.E.D. Whisperer
Reaction score
I have an old school Kicker CVR 12" in a truck box powered by a Phoenix Gold mono block amp. Let me tell ya, it beats hard!
El Cheapo JVC deck & stock speakers (have my components but am waiting for door panel repair)

Regular cab.

Once I get the components in I'll mosdef be amplifying them.

TruckinAin4Sissies

L.E.D. Whisperer
Reaction score
Alright, sit down for the following picture...
I saw this truck on FSC and want to replicate the box.

You must be registered for see images attach

Gave ya a Woodie huh!

Last edited:

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
Mine is stock in my current truck, but it is bose so it does the job. Just need to get a box then my 2 12's are going in because I have everything else.

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
Deck: Pioneer DEH-4200ub
Doors (all 4): Polk db651's
Rear roof: Kicker KS410's (4x10's, weird size. Kicker is the only major brand that still has 'em.
Amp: Used JBL P80.4 from Craigslist
Sub: Pioneer TS-SW841D (8" shallow mount sub)

System is pretty mild. I ran the doors on the front left and right channels, so I still have left/right balance. Ran two speakers per channel to get to two ohms and 80 watts each. The rears are just powered by the deck. The sub is running off the bridged rear output, so it gets 160 watts. I also ran the RCA cables from the sub output on the deck to the rear input on the amp, so I have individual sub control. I love the system. Very clean, crisp sound for rock and classic rock, which is what I listen to. I used a sealed box to get crisper bass hits.

The main thing I love about it is that all this is under seats, so you can't see it, and I can still use my truck the same as before I had it. Didn't want to put anything in a big box in the back, because I still load stuff up in this thing, so it wouldn't be too practical. Besides, then, no one sees it, so they won't try to break in to steal anything.

Personally, I love everything I have. The deck is great, and the usb charges your iPod while playing it, so I never listen to CD's or radio any more. The Polk's get pretty loud without any distortion. I would suggest getting a 4 channel amp and running two channels to component speakers, and then bridge two for a sub. Just make sure it's an amp that tends to run fairly cool, just gives you that extra peace of mind. I say only one amp because it really reduces clutter, and does the job for a mild system. I would say that you should run your components off the amp, because they can go much louder without distortion, and it helps balance out the sub. Just make sure you match the RMS on the speakers/sub with the output on the amp and you should be fine. Also, make sure the amp is 2 ohms stable if you want to run it that way.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As of now my system is conservative, but that is in the process of changing. Honestly though, one of the biggest factors when determining your woofer set up is what kind of music you like and if you want LOUD bass or clean and tiight bass. Personally I listen to country, rock, and classic rock 99% of the time, so I don't want big loose bass. I will be running a single 10" sealed box, with a 10" Kicker CVR in. I will most likely be running 2 amplifiers or possibly a single 5 channel. I will be running kicker amp(s) (bass knob is a big plus!). And I will be running a total of 6 speakers plus the woofer. Polk Components in the dash, kicker 5 1/4" KS in the doors, and Kicker 6" KS60's in the rear pillars.
Your fine running a component set of speakers with your head unit. But you'll notice that once they are amplified they will be a lot more able! If your not into hip hop or rap, your best bet is a sealed box built to the "Tight spec". You see a smaller sealed box produces a cleaner tighter bass (less resonance), and a bigger box will produce a "looser" bass (more resonance, best suited for hip-hop/rap type music). I would recomend getting rid of the 4X6's in your rear pillars, because quite honestly, there is no 4X6 speaker that is going to sound as good as a 6" or a 6X9" of equal quality!

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright, sit down for the following picture...
I saw this truck on FSC and want to replicate the box.

You must be registered for see images attach

Gave ya a Woodie huh!

That is exactly how I'm building the box/amp rack for my 67'!! Only differance is that the amps will be mounted higher and the center will be raised and flow into the center console! Very nice looking set up!

1low95GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
2 10 inch kicker cvrs(going to have 3 later on, i want to fill up the whole back wall with a custom box) spl amp for the subs
2 kenwood 6.5s 2 boss skull 4x6s jbl amp powering the mids/highs
pioneer head unit