Water running out of the back of the motor.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmfan454

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 95 suburban that sat for like 6 years but i got it running. I replaced the thermostat and hoses as well. I have two issues that I wanted to run past you guys for help please. When I put coolant in the truck, water is running out of the back of the motor. I think it is the manifold gasket but not sure because I cant see back there very well. That seems like a big job so i want to make sure before I do it. Also, the temp gauge is not reading even with the new thermostat. Any ideas?

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Check the rear heater hose connector at the passenger side of the manifold. The connector is aluminum and the crack and leak.

As for the temp gauge, Make sure the sensor is plugged in. If it is, disconnect it and ground the wire, it should go either full hot or stay full cold. not grounded and it will do the opposite. That will tell you if the gauge and wiring is good and then you may just need a sender. If it doesn't move either way, then the circuit or the gauge is open.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
After sitting for 6 years, my money is on a rusted out freeze plug.

gmfan454

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I havent let it run for long since I cant get a reading on the temp. I will check the freeze plugs. I assume they are a pretty straight foward replacement. I will check the Haynes manual for their location.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
I havent let it run for long since I cant get a reading on the temp. I will check the freeze plugs. I assume they are a pretty straight foward replacement. I will check the Haynes manual for their location.

They are probably the ones on the back of the motor, which means the tranny has to come out to access them.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Hmmm,, I remember SBC having oil gallery plugs on the back of the engine, can't remember if there's coolant passage plugs.

You need to get your Mellon or a mirror back there and see if it's coming from up top behind the intake or if it's coming out of the converter cover only.

Hold on a tick:

You must be registered for see images attach

Yup, there they are.

Last edited:

gmfan454

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks like it's the rear heater hose connection. It has totally separated from the piece going into the manifold. Trying to fix it now.