Walked (slowly) on an L-98 '72 Vette

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
Walked (slowly) on an L-48 '72 Vette

Pretty proud of myself, had to share it somewhere. Went on a cruise with my dad the other day, I took my Sierra (one in the sig), and he took his '72 L-48/Auto Corvette. Beautifully restored but stock 'Vette save for electric fans, shift kit, and Flowmasters. And he's no old man about it, he drives the crap out of his cars. He and I are always competing, and this was no exception. I'd been telling him since before I even had the L29 swap done that my big heavy pickup would beat his smallblock 'Vette (he also has a '71 LS5 454 4spd, that one's next) when I was done with it, and he'd just laugh and give me an eye roll with a "yeeeah, suuuure".

So we go out for a cruise, and I'm just following him - we've got a lot of long, twisty backroads with some nice, long straightaways. After about 20 mins we come to one of the bridges that crosses the lake and he pulls over. I pull over in front of him cause I have no clue what he's doing, and after a couple minutes he lets traffic get clear, rolls back out on the road beside me, and gives me the nod. I'm thinkin "all right, old man, let's see what ya got". I get over into the oncoming lane (not much traffic out there), we get rolling and punch it on a 20 roll (neither one of us would hook up in a dig). The Sierra barked shifting back down into 1st, and he told me later he winced a little when I shifted back into second, because it barked again and kicked the ass-end of the pickup towards the front of his car. So needless to say I immediately jumped out in front, and I stayed there. I pulled about 3 (car) lengths on him and slowly walked away from there. The bridge is 4/10ths of a mile long (I've raced there before in the Trans Am and measured it), by the time I had to hit the brakes at 3/10ths (pretty sharp curve at the end), I was doing 112 (by my GPS, and he said he was about the same) and had pulled another 2 lengths ahead.

We got back to his house and he got out of his car shaking his head. "I don't know what all you've got done, but that thing moves, son". Sensed more pride than disappointment in his voice. That was a good day

So there it is, believe me or not, my second kill is a '72 Corvette. :driver:

Last edited:

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Nice! I've walked on a few mustangs (surprisingly, one V6, one V8), a few NBS Silverados, and a 2012 F-150 V8. Only thing that has ever beaten me is my buddy's '11 CCSB Z71. That thing can seriously pull. He didn't get ahead more than a few feet, though.

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
I was really surprised, I thought for sure he'd smoke me, I've ridden in and driven that car, and it's no slouch for a stocker. Of course it's also barely pushing 3000lbs as opposed to my 5,100lb lug.

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
Uhm. L98's didn't exist until 1984 in vettes, right?

You are correct. :slap: The L-98 is the TPI, I meant L-48, which was the base option to the LT-1 (not to be confused with the later fuel-injected LT1). Thanks for catching that! OP has been fixed, can't seem to change the thread title though...

Last edited:

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
Found it! Here's a shot of the old man with his Stingrays. The red one is the '72 L-48 350/Auto, blue is the '71 LS-5 454/4spd
You must be registered for see images attach

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
I know, right? He deserves 'em, worked his ass off for as long as I can remember and finally got his dream car(s)

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
that's awesome man cool story hope to somday have somthin fast enough to whoop dads car lol