Vortec 454 Oil Temp Sensor Location

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JSlezak83

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys, who has put a oil temp gauge on one of these motors? Welding a bung in the oil pan isn't really a good option for me, so I was looking for a port in the block that might be free.

Is the port above the oil filter acceptable for a temp sensor? It’s too damn cold out to go crawling under my truck, so I don’t know if that port is plugged or not. I don’t think that the front of the block is tapped, but again it’s too damn cold.

Other options I’m looking into are a drain plug adapter, or a 3/8” NPT manifold on the oil cooler outlet. Where are you folks getting your oil temps from?
You must be registered for see images attach

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys, who has put a oil temp gauge on one of these motors? Welding a bung in the oil pan isn't really a good option for me, so I was looking for a port in the block that might be free.

Is the port above the oil filter acceptable for a temp sensor? It’s too damn cold out to go crawling under my truck, so I don’t know if that port is plugged or not. I don’t think that the front of the block is tapped, but again it’s too damn cold.

Other options I’m looking into are a drain plug adapter, or a 3/8” NPT manifold on the oil cooler outlet. Where are you folks getting your oil temps from?
You must be registered for see images attach

On the 350 Corvettes GM got it from the port right above the oil filter.