Tbi oil pressure and temp gauge..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrobsMan

Reaction score
so I’ve been looking into why my temp gauge always read cold it wouldn’t ever hit 195 it would show 150 the whole time it runs but if I put my temp gun on the thermostat it’s always at operating temp.. so I tested the temp gauge by grounding it out and it maxed out like it should. Then went on to replacing the old corroded and melted temp sender connector it didn’t help. I then changed the temp sender itself and now it stays stuck at 120.. I’m confused. And the oil pressure gauge would read a little low so I changed the sensor it’s a easy cheap fix.. started it and oil pressure read higher than it did before so I thought ok good the sensor was bad. Well as it warmed up the damn oil pressure gauge started twitching and it really twitches in gear at idle. Now I just put a new battery in it and cleaned every single ground I could find. So I’m lost. Any advice?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WAT VEHICLE???

I tested the temp gauge by grounding it out and it maxed out like it should... ...I then changed the temp sender itself and now it stays stuck at 120.
What did you use to seal the threads on the sending unit? Teflon (PTFE) "Thread tape"?

the damn oil pressure gauge started twitching and it really twitches in gear at idle.
Oil pressure sending units for '88--'89 (and perhaps newer) V-8s are a known high-failure item.

They're most-easily recognized by the green stripe painted on the end near the single-wire electrical connector.

Original, failed sending unit with green stripe, next to INCORRECT, TOO-LARGE OP6649 sending unit "recommended" by NAPA.
You must be registered for see images attach

MrobsMan

Reaction score
WAT VEHICLE???

What did you use to seal the threads on the sending unit? Teflon (PTFE) "Thread tape"?

Oil pressure sending units for '88--'89 (and perhaps newer) V-8s are a known high-failure item.

They're most-easily recognized by the green stripe painted on the end near the single-wire electrical connector.

Original, failed sending unit with green stripe, next to INCORRECT, TOO-LARGE OP6649 sending unit "recommended" by NAPA.
You must be registered for see images attach
I used a little bit of liquid thread sealant.. and that doesent look like my sensor mine is behind the distributor. It is a 1994 Chevy truck

Georgiabigfoot

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did
so I’ve been looking into why my temp gauge always read cold it wouldn’t ever hit 195 it would show 150 the whole time it runs but if I put my temp gun on the thermostat it’s always at operating temp.. so I tested the temp gauge by grounding it out and it maxed out like it should. Then went on to replacing the old corroded and melted temp sender connector it didn’t help. I then changed the temp sender itself and now it stays stuck at 120.. I’m confused. And the oil pressure gauge would read a little low so I changed the sensor it’s a easy cheap fix.. started it and oil pressure read higher than it did before so I thought ok good the sensor was bad. Well as it warmed up the damn oil pressure gauge started twitching and it really twitches in gear at idle. Now I just put a new battery in it and cleaned every single ground I could find. So I’m lost. Any advice?
did you ever get your temp gauge resolved ? My 96 burb is similar. Grounded out temp gauge maxs out, 2 different replacement coolant sensors both are pinned at 120 F even if my obd is showing 170. Any ideas ?