Vortec 2200 swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
No small car is going to feel like a GM B-body, or even a G-body. I don't think a small car has to be a tinny econobox, Though. I liked driving my Saturn SL2 until it got annoyingly loud on the freeway due to a bad wheel bearing, and things breaking/rusting started to accumulate. It had fully independent suspection all the way around, and handled well. It also took bumpy I-69 a lot better than my truck, and cost way less in gas. It also did not feel tinny when I closed the doors.

I've considered buying a Subaru for the awd system, and was quite suprised that the Subaru Impreza WRX I looked at felt very tinny.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
The one part of the equation that is missing, and somewhat difficult to quantify as it's purely subjective: the pleasure of driving something you enjoy, vs. a regular commuter beater car. I hate driving little tin can econoboxes. I've never owned one, but have been in a situation where I've been in one here or there (rentals, borrowed car, etc.) and HATE.. H A T E driving that stuff for any length of time. I can't imagine what it would be like driving one to/from work every day.. I feel like it would sour my mood even before asshats in traffic could.

Richard
This. The first car I ever registered was a 1994 Grand AM SE with a 2.3 single cam QUAD. 35mpg. The only thing I miss about that car are the memories I made with it as a teenager. :hump:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
This. The first car I ever registered was a 1994 Grand AM SE with a 2.3 single cam QUAD. 35mpg. The only thing I miss about that car are the memories I made with it as a teenager. :hump:
My first was a '65 Impala SS (clone) 396/4 speed. It was sold to me as a 427 but I was a dumb teenager and believed them. Car was cheap so it didn't matter when I discovered later it was "only" a 396, that was still capable of easily pulling that car off a dead stop in 3rd gear and still not lug the engine. I was practically born not knowing what MPG meant, and that has stayed with me to this day. ;)

That must've been interesting! I've seen a few trucks up here with the Mexican Chevy grille but never got to look at them closely.
I know those engines existed (some of them anyway) but so far, all the Mexico 400's I've seen here have SBC's. Several years of them are still TBI (in the Vortec era for U.S. trucks) but have Vortec style accessory drives. Also, a lot of people are buying that Mexico grille and swapping it onto U.S. 400's, just because it's different.

Richard

Intragration

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What I have wondered is if the 4200 vortec from a trailblazer would be a mileage friendly option. Very torquey which would be good for a truck. Not sure I have ever seen an inline 6 stuffed in a 400's engine bay.

I would have suggested it, but my daily driver is a Trailblazer. Great motor and good match for the Trailblazer platform, but it gets about 14 MPG and makes less torque than an L05 305. (Correction: L03 305, thanks Peter)

Last edited: