Vortec 2200 swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
it's a pretty easy math story problem, really, and 100% depends on how many miles a day you drive. but you can always make a spreadsheet to figure out if it makes sense. here's my example.

Commute: 60 miles/day, mixed hwy/stop and go

Option A) Commute in truck
300 miles/week @ 10.5mpg = 28.6 gal
Gas price ~ $3.79
$108/week FUEL
x4 weeks/mo = $432/month for fuel
Insurance $40/mo
Total not counting R&M, tires, etc: $472/mo

Option B) Commute cheap sh!tbox
300 miles/week @30.5mpg = 9.8 gal
Gas price ~ $3.79
$37.27-week FUEL
x4 weeks/mo = $149/month for fuel
Insurance $40/mo
Total not counting R&M, tires, etc: $189/mo

It's a $3400/year savings buying a cheap car. If your commuter cost you $5k (mine was $4200 but I put another $1k into it when I bought it), it would take you about 18 months to pay for the car. Plus tires are half the price, which I didn't calculate in any of the above, but you could add that in if you wanted.

Obviously everyone's situation is different but it's not that hard to figure out your own situation and do the math.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The one part of the equation that is missing, and somewhat difficult to quantify as it's purely subjective: the pleasure of driving something you enjoy, vs. a regular commuter beater car. I hate driving little tin can econoboxes. I've never owned one, but have been in a situation where I've been in one here or there (rentals, borrowed car, etc.) and HATE.. H A T E driving that stuff for any length of time. I can't imagine what it would be like driving one to/from work every day.. I feel like it would sour my mood even before asshats in traffic could.

Richard

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The one part of the equation that is missing, and somewhat difficult to quantify as it's purely subjective: the pleasure of driving something you enjoy, vs. a regular commuter beater car. I hate driving little tin can econoboxes. I've never owned one, but have been in a situation where I've been in one here or there (rentals, borrowed car, etc.) and HATE.. H A T E driving that stuff for any length of time. I can't imagine what it would be like driving one to/from work every day.. I feel like it would sour my mood even before asshats in traffic could.

Richard
This is probably the biggest consideration for me. I use my truck for my business so it's a semi daily driver. I live in a rural town and all my customers are in the city that is 50 miles away. I set my schedule so that I drive up there twice a week which costs me $120 in petrol for the two trips. If i didn't use it for work it would spend most of it's time just parked up and I get no satisfaction from that. I have freinds that have classic vehicles that just collect dust in their garages most of the year. I love driving this truck and my customers can here me coming from a block away as it has a distinctive exhaust sound compared to the newer V8s. It's also cool when I pull into a customers carpark and all the heads turn to see what is coming as these trucks are quite rare down here so it's a great conversation starter as well. I have done 100K in it since I bought it and at 265K it still runs like a new truck.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Richard

I am with you on that. The smallest car I have had that was comfortable to actually drive that I felt safe in is my 2007 G35 Sedan. The V6 in it had over 300 hp so it was fun to drive if not downright quick for what it is. The 2014 Sentra was out of necessity at the time and I felt like I was crammed into a sardine can. 2-3 hours on a road trip was all I could drive it before I had to get out and strech my legs. The seat would not move back far enough for the length of my legs and to operate the clutch and throttle meant both my knees were perpetually bent too much to be comfortable. The car was also not equipped with cruise control.

TreeGeared

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What I have wondered is if the 4200 vortec from a trailblazer would be a mileage friendly option. Very torquey which would be good for a truck. Not sure I have ever seen an inline 6 stuffed in a 400's engine bay.

Like others, I have an old Honda accord that I use for basic a-b transportation that does not necessitate a truck or if I want to save on gas. But in a year that will be the kid's car.

And there are times when I hop in one of the old trucks just because....

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What I have wondered is if the 4200 vortec from a trailblazer would be a mileage friendly option. Very torquey which would be good for a truck. Not sure I have ever seen an inline 6 stuffed in a 400's engine bay.

Like others, I have an old Honda accord that I use for basic a-b transportation that does not necessitate a truck or if I want to save on gas. But in a year that will be the kid's car.

And there are times when I hop in one of the old trucks just because....
My coworker had one of those Trailblazers. He always complained that the mileage was terrible. Always said his 71 C20 with a 396/TH400/3.73s got better mileage.