Vortec 2200 swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
My first was a '65 Impala SS (clone) 396/4 speed. It was sold to me as a 427 but I was a dumb teenager and believed them. Car was cheap so it didn't matter when I discovered later it was "only" a 396, that was still capable of easily pulling that car off a dead stop in 3rd gear and still not lug the engine. I was practically born not knowing what MPG meant, and that has stayed with me to this day. ;)

Richard
Oh wow, now that is a car I'd miss for more than the memories. "Car was cheap so it didn't matter." Exactly, still a rad machine.

Moofus02

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My favorite beater commuters were grand marquis/ crown vics with the 4.6. Big comfy make all the right v8 noises and get 23 to 27 at 90 on freeway. Paid 1200 for the first one put 140k on it. The second has 106k on it and was free. Only put 33k on and my kid spun it out in a snow storm at 70. Went down a deep median backwards endowed and barrel rolled out and walked away shook up but in one piece. The car was quite ugly when it was over

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
My favorite beater commuters were grand marquis/ crown vics with the 4.6. Big comfy make all the right v8 noises and get 23 to 27 at 90 on freeway. Paid 1200 for the first one put 140k on it. The second has 106k on it and was free. Only put 33k on and my kid spun it out in a snow storm at 70. Went down a deep median backwards endowed and barrel rolled out and walked away shook up but in one piece. The car was quite ugly when it was over

How are you getting that kind of mileage? I checked a 2003, Ford and Lincoln, and both were rated at 23 highway.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
How are you getting that kind of mileage? I checked a 2003, Ford and Lincoln, and both were rated at 23 highway.
How memories fog some facts ;)

The car was quite ugly when it was over
They weren't great lookers before it started..

Man I loved the cars those panthers wish they coulda been. The 9C1 Caprices.. sure did flog a lot of them around, both TBI and LT1 versions (as well as a '95 Impala SS.) I don't know how a TBI 5.7 motivated those big hogs down the road with ease, I suspect there's a cop car tune, but no idea. As stated earlier in this thread I never really cared too much about MPG so I couldn't tell you what those cars got, advertised or real world, just smiles per gallon was way up there. Comfortable, sexy, handled well for big cars, and reasonably powerful.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sigh...

Richard

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The skirted rear wheels were a huge mistake, fixed on the later versions.

Yes, there was a "cop car tune" which--I guess--included marginally higher-flow injectors in the throttle body unit. There were undoubtedly other changes in the computer tune, and perhaps in the engine parts as well. There was a specific long-block for the Cop engine.

Moofus02

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
City driving was 19 to 22. But on road they got high 20's. I drive 2 miles get on highway drive 45 miles drive 1 mile to work. The only thing that hurt milage is if they threw an evap emissions code. That would drop about 3-4 but still get low 20's.

3rd
3rd and 4th generation cameros and ss Monty Carlos were good for high 20's on the road but being they have a bow tie i can't afford them. Even the Ford crown vic have gone up in price lately. Can't find a bathtub caprice or I would be driving one

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
City driving was 19 to 22. But on road they got high 20's. I drive 2 miles get on highway drive 45 miles drive 1 mile to work. The only thing that hurt milage is if they threw an evap emissions code. That would drop about 3-4 but still get low 20's.

I looked up 2003, what year do you have experience with?

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
My '88 Town Car will do 24.xx mpg if I keep it at 65mph or so. I know people love the 4.6, I'm just partial to single camshaft designs. But like Moofus said, the prices have skyrocketed the past few years, so no more throwaways for me. Same for all these "bummy" trucks I liked to pick up & dump after I've had my fun.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My '88 Town Car will do 24.xx mpg if I keep it at 65mph or so. I know people love the 4.6, I'm just partial to single camshaft designs. But like Moofus said, the prices have skyrocketed the past few years, so no more throwaways for me. Same for all these "bummy" trucks I liked to pick up & dump after I've had my fun.

My boxy 88 Fleetwood had no problem getting 26-27 MPG with the "9" vin 307 HO and still bettered 25 mpg with a 403 that had earlier 350 heads, intake and a Mondello cam. That car had a CCC Q-Jet, 2004-R and 2.53 ring and pinon. I expect most GM B-bodies could get mid 20s on the highway at a sane speed especially the TBI and LT1 versions. I wanted to put the later 70s Seville Olds 350 port fuel intake on that Cadillac, but never could find one in my price range at the time, eventually I put a 454 TBI setup on it with the factory TBI to Q-Jet 454 adapter and I replaced the 2004-R with a 4L60E.