Very odd electrical issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zepp

Reaction score
2000 esky.

So I have noticed that when turning off the key the radio stays on, as it should. If I open the door nothing powers off. I've also recently discovered my wipers will work with the key off. If I keep the drivers door open and cycle the key to run and back off everything powers down.

If the door is open and key is shut off everything powers down. If the door is closed, key turned off, then opening the door, radio stays on and wipers are functional. Not really sure what to make of it.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2000 esky.

So I have noticed that when turning off the key the radio stays on, as it should. If I open the door nothing powers off. I've also recently discovered my wipers will work with the key off. If I keep the drivers door open and cycle the key to run and back off everything powers down.

If the door is open and key is shut off everything powers down. If the door is closed, key turned off, then opening the door, radio stays on and wipers are functional. Not really sure what to make of it.

Umm... a "Cadillac Style" feature, perhaps?

What's the sales brochure or service manual say about it?

Oh, look here:

"Retained accessory pwr-inc: radio, windows, front/rear wipers, aux pwr outlets"

:waytogo:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Zepp

Reaction score
It does say they will operate for up to 10 minutes after the key is turned to the off position or the door is opened. Neither will kill the power to them unless the door is already opened when the key is turned to the off position.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It does say they will operate for up to 10 minutes after the key is turned to the off position or the door is opened. Neither will kill the power to them unless the door is already opened when the key is turned to the off position.

The owner's manual in the glovebox should provide some information on the topic as well, if it's still there. A .pdf is probably available on the 'net.

I wouldn't be surprised if the same feature set existed on the GMC Denali from which the Esky was a kin.

Last edited:

Zepp

Reaction score
I do have the owners manual still. The retained accessory power works, until it's time for it to turn off. It's supposed to turn off if you open a door or wait 10 minutes. I've had it stay on long enough to kill the battery and it stays on when you open the door is my issue.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do have the owners manual still. The retained accessory power works, until it's time for it to turn off. It's supposed to turn off if you open a door or wait 10 minutes. I've had it stay on long enough to kill the battery and it stays on when you open the door is my issue.

Those are body control module functions.

See this thread on GMT400, particularly the post about "Retained Accessory Power":

A Google search for "2000 escalade body control module failure" turns up interesting hits, take a look:

Last edited:

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Hehe that's my thread. I would have said maybe your door switch broke until you said it does shut off if the door is already open. Makes me think it's a possible RAP relay failure, or the BCM controller itself... It's also possible there's a problem with the ignition switch and the accessory circuit from the ignition is still feeding the RAP circuits (radio, windows, and wipers). The RAP relay failing (integral part of the BCM) or the ignition switch feeding accessory ignition power to the BCM will cause the power to stay on until the truck dies.

Zepp

Reaction score
Hehe that's my thread. I would have said maybe your door switch broke until you said it does shut off if the door is already open. Makes me think it's a possible RAP relay failure, or the BCM controller itself... It's also possible there's a problem with the ignition switch and the accessory circuit from the ignition is still feeding the RAP circuits (radio, windows, and wipers). The RAP relay failing (integral part of the BCM) or the ignition switch feeding accessory ignition power to the BCM will cause the power to stay on until the truck dies.
I'll take a peak at the RAP relay when I get a minute. Thanks

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Good luck....... It's inside the BCM, which is buried under the center console. You have to remove the entire console to get the BCM out at all, and THEN take the BCM apart to see the relay.

Zepp

Reaction score
Good luck....... It's inside the BCM, which is buried under the center console. You have to remove the entire console to get the BCM out at all, and THEN take the BCM apart to see the relay.
Sounds like a weekend morning project.