V-6 Vortec Performance Upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sandlapper

Reaction score
I have a 1997 GMC Sierra 1500 with a 4.3 vortec engine.What kind of options do I have to get more horsepower out of it?

Dan_Frisbie

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a lot of potential in a V6, but first, why stick with the V6?
Unless you go extreme, the torque will simply not be there. Extreme is expensive.
The easiest way to get instant hp is a turbo or supercharger. Turbos are a little more fuel efficient and Ford seems to be having success with them in small engines.
The smartest, cheapest way to go would be to find a donor truck with a 350 and swap the engine, all engine controls and possibly the transmission. The 350 will make decent hp for a long time and have the torque that you need in a truck.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
As the owner of a '97 4.3 V6 truck that's constantly evolving... The best bang for your buck is going to be exhaust (including headers), and then a tune. In that order. The exhaust will help a little, and the tune will make a night and day difference. I recommend a single 3" pipe, and then a mail order tune from Black Bear Performance. Skylark's idea about the rear gear change is a good call, too. Especially if you have 3.42s or below right now.

I agree to an extent that a V6 isn't the most practical choice to modify, but I disagree that the "torque just isn't there." Mine has enough torque to kill built 4L60Es, and chirp tires at WOT during the 1-2 shift. Plenty of power for a daily driver.

sandlapper

Reaction score
Thank you all for your answers about this.I don't have the money to do an engine swap so I'm sticking with what I have.I've been told by several mechanics at repair shops that the 4.3 engine is the same as a 5.7 engine,it just has two less cylinders.I'm using this truck for my daily driver and I use it to haul scrap metal.I may try changing the gear ratio in the differential at some point later on and go from there.

XJPhoenix

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
As to the question of 'why keep the 4.3?', There's a good chance keeping it stock, (or just looking stock) is best as swapping engines may be grounds for your insurance agency to drop you, or raise your premiums. Then there's emissions laws, etc... Plus, adding a few horses is sometimes all one needs.

:)

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
The best bet is to swap out the axle for one from a junkyard with a taller gearset. That is in most cases, cheaper than paying a shop to install a new ring and pinion.

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
Agreed with the gear swap. Did it myself, love it.

Went from 3.42 to 4.10. No regrets.

On a 97, you WILL bork up the speedometer calibration and the dealership probably will NOT be able to recalibrate it for you unless you do a 3.73 ratio (even then it's a crap shoot if they know how to do it).

Took mine to 2 chevy dealers and called several other GM lots and nobody would touch it.

I bought a used Flashpaq to adjust mine, now speedo is right on.

Alternatively you can ignore the faulty speedometer and buy a "heads up" display for under $100. I did that until I got the Flashpaq and I still use the heads up unit because I love it.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Agreed with the gear swap. Did it myself, love it.

Went from 3.42 to 4.10. No regrets.

On a 97, you WILL bork up the speedometer calibration and the dealership probably will NOT be able to recalibrate it for you unless you do a 3.73 ratio (even then it's a crap shoot if they know how to do it).

Took mine to 2 chevy dealers and called several other GM lots and nobody would touch it.

I bought a used Flashpaq to adjust mine, now speedo is right on.

Alternatively you can ignore the faulty speedometer and buy a "heads up" display for under $100. I did that until I got the Flashpaq and I still use the heads up unit because I love it.

Or you could always just get a tune. Black Bear Performance can adjust the speedometer and odometer readings to be accurate with pretty much any gear and tire combo on the Vortec trucks. Free adjustments for life and lots of extra benefits, too.