Using PTFE tape or Teflon tape on metal fuel line fittings?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Working in plumbing we use monster blue teflon tape. Also grey one is good as well. Says it's good for a lot of chemicals and fuel.

White is cheap and yellow was for lp or gas. We also had pink but never used it since the grey and blue was professional and covered all we needed it for

Angelo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You only need one o-ring... let me rephrase: do not use 2 o-rings. Unless you're working with a set that has been engineered to use more than one seal, you just need one..
The only male end m16 x 1.5 male to 3/8 barb that I can find is on Amazon. There's no o ring on it. Maybe tape is still going to be needed? The males are going into both sides of a gm lift pump

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
The only male end m16 x 1.5 male to 3/8 barb that I can find is on Amazon. There's no o ring on it. Maybe tape is still going to be needed? The males are going into both sides of a gm lift pump

Give me some time and I will find what you need. I replaced all of the lines on 2 of my trucks and used those adapters, I will find where I purchased them and let you know.

Angelo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Help! rack usually has fuel line repair sections and stuff like what @evilunclegrimace posted. Have you just checked the parts stores OP?

None have the male M16 x 1.5 with o ring to 3/8 barb. Not on rock auto either. They have standard only. Never thought'd it be this hard to find. I was only able to find something that'd fit on Amazon but it has no o ring, and this goes into both sides of the 6.5l LP. Unless the LP has an o ring inside...

FYI this is to put a Y valve behind the lift pump which will give me diesel for a house heater. I've only bought the Y valve so far, so if someone here knows a different way of tapping in, which is not a lot more work. Thought this would be the easiest way to go. I have other threads about this project.

Last edited:

Angelo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Give me some time and I will find what you need. I replaced all of the lines on 2 of my trucks and used those adapters, I will find where I purchased them and let you know.

Thanks! Lmk if you find it. I found this but it's way too long 9" and $28 after shipping; they don't have a shorter one. Might have to do other adaptions for this if it's the only option.

Last edited:

LC2NLS6

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Convert metric GM oring to AN. Then should easily get whatever in AN after that easy, barb, flare etc. And break out the wallet. Fuel fittings aren't cheap.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No
As Im sure you encountered, thread types and fittings is a rather arcane world.
But, keep this in mind. "Gas Rated Thread Tape" has nothing to do with gasoline or any normally liquid fuel.
It only applies to actual "gas" like Propane.
And forget about plumbing tape entirely.
Normally, with a whole bunch of exeptions, reliabilty comes from converting all of it too simple flare fittings.
Flaring tool, box of fittings.. go on with your life.
Tape? no nope never
They arent designed that way
I think this is why the British call it "Petrol"
It aint gas Brother