Using PTFE tape or Teflon tape on metal fuel line fittings?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Angelo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't find a M16X1.5 Male or female to barb that come with an "o ring seal", other than female pair at Leroy Diesel which is $28 after shipping. I need one female and one male. This is to be used behind fuel filter only (at LP) on a 6.5l K3500. Could these tapes be used as a substitute? The goal is to avoid leaks.

Last edited:

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I picked up some fuel line rated tape at lowes to prevent leaks on my harbor freight fuel pressure guage. It worked well. Right next to the regular plumbers tape, but it's yellow. Make sure it's only on the threads, you don't want anything getting pulled into the filter and plugging it up.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Angelo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
I don't see M16 x 1.5 male at Rockauto! Only standard and 14mm. I searched Google for this image and found it on summitracing.com. Learned it's called a "fuel line adapter" for any other newbs searching :oops:

evilunclegrimace I guess still need to know what about the female adapter, guessing they don't come with an o ring inside. UPDATE - Found the Dorman 800-132 at advanced auto (also on Amazon) which says "female o-ring", so female is covered.

Last edited:

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You only need one o-ring... let me rephrase: do not use 2 o-rings. Unless you're working with a set that has been engineered to use more than one seal, you just need one, otherwise you're more likely to cause a leak than you are to prevent one. They're not Pokémon, you don't need to catch them all.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Many, many times you will find that the parts stores actually carry something but you they cant find it because it is cataloged under some nonsense term that is not commonly used in auto repair.
A couple of things are going on when this happens
The guy at the counter has no idea what you are talking about. If you are looking for a distributor hold down clamp but it is listed as an spark distribution anti rotational device
Yer screwed.
If the parts guy does know his **** but the computer internet guy doesnt, same problem.
These days, you need to know exactly what you are looking for and know the part number and make sure they are paying attention.
I go through this **** all the time.
I just had some dingy dipshit tell me that there is no such thing as anti sieze compound while I was telling him to move the hell out of the way so I could get some anti sieze friggen compound.
"Can I help you?
Nope probably not spanky"
Thus begins my first rant of the day

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Many, many times you will find that the parts stores actually carry something but you they cant find it because it is cataloged under some nonsense term that is not commonly used in auto repair.
A couple of things are going on when this happens
The guy at the counter has no idea what you are talking about. If you are looking for a distributor hold down clamp but it is listed as an spark distribution anti rotational device
Yer screwed.
If the parts guy does know his **** but the computer internet guy doesnt, same problem.
These days, you need to know exactly what you are looking for and know the part number and make sure they are paying attention.
I go through this **** all the time.
I just had some dingy dipshit tell me that there is no such thing as anti sieze compound while I was telling him to move the hell out of the way so I could get some anti sieze friggen compound.
"Can I help you?
Nope probably not spanky"
Thus begins my first rant of the day
Lol who TF doesn't know what anti-sieze is?

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lol who TF doesn't know what anti-sieze is?

Ha! not only didnt know what anti sieze was, claimed that there is no such thing as anti sieze!
I guess if youre gonna be a dope, you might as well double down on yer dopiness!
This particular Irish auto parts circus has a manager who actually knows his ****, but Im fairly sure hes gonna be out in the parking lot with a revolver and a bottle of Jim Beam pretty soon.
Or he might just go head first into the waste oil drum.