LP bypass to Walbro FRB-5

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Angelo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
For a 1996 6.5L, I got the LP relay harness from Leroy diesel that "bypasses" the ops, and plan on switching the fuel pump to this Walbro FRB-5. I found Leroy diesel also sells this LP bypass kit - but all it is 2 connections for the hard lines to a 3/8 barb and it'd run $29 after shipping. Does anyone know the threads for these hard line? If there's an advantage that makes it worth buying that kit then I'd do it, but I think these could be found elsewhere for at least $20 cheaper..

Also the Walbro has a 1/4-18 input and output, could I just swap that for a 3/8-18 for those lines or does it have to be 1/4?

Last edited:

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The hard line connections at the OEM lift pump are M16 x 1.5 with a oring seal. Im guessing the fittings that you are looking at the barbed end is 1/4 inch. You can get 3/8 inch ends that should be able to screw into the pump. Any reason your looking at getting the walbro pump? If you just looking for more pressure the the stock 96 puts out look at getting a LP for a 93 6.5 TD. They run about the same pressure as the walbro and are a 1/3 the price and you dont have to do any mods to get it to work. Im running the one for a 93 in my 95 and at idle it runs 8-9 psi and cruising 8 psi. At WOT pressure drops to about 3 psi which is still acceptable. It is also pulling fuel through a 30 micron prefilter and also has to push the fuel through the stock filter. If I still had the tank sock i would guess the pressure would be a bit higher.

Angelo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you just looking for more pressure the the stock 96 puts out look at getting a LP for a 93 6.5 TD. They run about the same pressure as the walbro and are a 1/3 the price and you dont have to do any mods to get it to work
That sounds like a good alternative. Has it lasted a couple years at least? I need to put a Y valve behind the LP anyways, so a slight plumbing change is needed.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That sounds like a good alternative. Has it lasted a couple years at least? I need to put a Y valve behind the LP anyways, so a slight plumbing change is needed.
Ive only been running it about 6-8 months but I don't see why it shouldn't last that long or longer. Another forum Im a member of that LP is the one that deems like its always recomended for stock or mostly stock platforms. If you feel frisky enough Leory sells fittings to attach to the sender that allows for rubber line to be attached. If you where to do that I think that changeing every thing over to rubber would help your plumbing change.

Angelo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Leory sells fittings to attach to the sender that allows for rubber line to be attached. If you where to do that I think that changeing every thing over to rubber would help your plumbing change.

May have to do that if I can't move up the hard lines going to front forward by at least 6-8" to make room for Y valve and softs. Here's the plan

I have another thread about this auxillary fuel supply and the guys there said it should work. Do say if you see an issue with it..

You must be registered for see images attach

(won't let me delete old images, I updated with "LP" label)

Last edited:

Angelo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now that I think about it, I'd replace the front hard line going to ff with a soft line if I couldn't make it all fit.

Angelo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The hard line connections at the OEM lift pump are M16 x 1.5 with a oring seal. Im guessing the fittings that you are looking at the barbed end is 1/4 inch. You can get 3/8 inch ends that should be able to screw into the pump. Any reason your looking at getting the walbro pump? If you just looking for more pressure the the stock 96 puts out look at getting a LP for a 93 6.5 TD. They run about the same pressure as the walbro and are a 1/3 the price and you dont have to do any mods to get it to work. Im running the one for a 93 in my 95 and at idle it runs 8-9 psi and cruising 8 psi. At WOT pressure drops to about 3 psi which is still acceptable. It is also pulling fuel through a 30 micron prefilter and also has to push the fuel through the stock filter. If I still had the tank sock i would guess the pressure would be a bit higher.

I'd bought one for a 93 in 2021 and installed it in March of this year, so about 5k miles. It had similar pressure to what you mentioned but it just took a poop. Went bad. Lucky I had a spare LP on me and did a roadside fix. ACDELCO parts are failing me over and over again. I just replaced a 190° acdelco thermostat after about only 20k miles. Pretty pathetic. I think I'm gonna be buying Precision from O reillys from now on bc of their lifetime warranty