Using older (Pre 87) Heads / Intake with TBI adapter plate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockymtnlover

Reaction score
It seems there are a lot more head and intake options pre 87, and there are adapter plates for the TBI.

Is the bolt pattern for the later serpentine drive systems (1991 K1500 350) compatible with the older heads??

Is there anything else I'm missing here?

Thanks for any info!

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Accessory drive bolt pattern goes back to...'69, perhaps. The earliest heads ('55--'68-ish) had NO bolt holes for accessory mounting.

Beware of huge combustion chambers on '70s cylinder heads. Also there were thinwall cylinder heads that are often cracked.

Make sure the exhaust flange has bolt holes in the right places. Some exhaust manifolds need a farther-rearward bolt hole that not all cylinder heads have. IF you need the farther-rearward hole, there are adapter plates that can be used--but I'd get different heads instead.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Accessory drive bolt pattern goes back to...'69, perhaps. The earliest heads ('55--'68-ish) had NO bolt holes for accessory mounting.

Beware of huge combustion chambers on '70s cylinder heads. Also there were thinwall cylinder heads that are often cracked.

Make sure the exhaust flange has bolt holes in the right places. Some exhaust manifolds need a farther-rearward bolt hole that not all cylinder heads have. IF you need the farther-rearward hole, there are adapter plates that can be used--but I'd get different heads instead.
Except, 87+ GM added 2 bolts to the front of the passenger side head.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im gonna guess the brackets for things needed those since they went to cast and they DID add those holes...so id assume they needed them