Urgent help, truck has no power at ignition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Hi all, hoping for some answers here. 1997 C3500 CCLB,5.7 etc. We're going to leave a store, to go get lunch and go on to the next store, and the truck makes one click when the key is turned to Start, and then nothing. No power even to put window up(and it's starting to rain cause a front is coming in today). Road service has been called but they can't seem to figure out when they will come....
Should I just go in the Walmart and buy a battery, or what? I don't think a bad starter would kill everything....
Thanks in advance!

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's kind of rough to do, but dare you short across (just brushing) the battery terminal to see what's there? Either a fat spark and a damaged circuit or a tickle dimmer than the non-illuminating underhood light indicating a shot (or merely flat) battery.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Check your fusible link. It may be fried. That is the wire between the alt, and battery. You may have battery issues, and you may have alt issues, and you may have both. I agree with @Pinger, it sounds like a shorted out wire. Also check your voltage, across the battery. Should be around 12 to 14 bolts.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
It's kind of rough to do, but dare you short across (just brushing) the battery terminal to see what's there? Either a fat spark and a damaged circuit or a tickle dimmer than the non-illuminating underhood light indicating a shot (or merely flat) battery.
The positive cables are the stacked ones, and it felt tight. Then the road service guy came and put his jump box and the cable ends moved. So we retightened them and it started up fine (once the magic button was pushed!).

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
We had this issue with the Burb, and maybe the other 99 Burb too. What Dad did is trim some of the vinyl off the terminals so they'll stack better, and put a stainless steel bolt and a jam nut on it. Also on the negative cable. I guess I need to do this on this truck too....to quote Popeye,"this is embarrassking"