Urgent help, truck has no power at ignition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
You have side post? I hate those, switched to top post, and bought some nice $20 cable ends. I feel that's a much better connection.

I was fortunate that the battery in mine had both terminals, so it was an easy switch. I did have to buy a battery recently though, and got one without the side terminals. Still ran me $195 with the exchange.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
We had this issue with the Burb, and maybe the other 99 Burb too. What Dad did is trim some of the vinyl off the terminals so they'll stack better, and put a stainless steel bolt and a jam nut on it. Also on the negative cable. I guess I need to do this on this truck too....to quote Popeye,"this is embarrassking"
Yep, it's the old stacked positive cables with the lead spacer in-between, you can't see the corrosion build up in there, and they do get loose as the spacer gets mushed. Cutting the covering off so you can clean up the ends, throw the spacer out, and replace bolt with one of the appropriate length so that it doesn't bottom out in the battery terminal.

Richard

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Yep, it's the old stacked positive cables with the lead spacer in-between, you can't see the corrosion build up in there, and they do get loose as the spacer gets mushed. Cutting the covering off so you can clean up the ends, throw the spacer out, and replace bolt with one of the appropriate length so that it doesn't bottom out in the battery terminal.

Richard
Yeah I will be playing with this over the weekend, and also with the blower motor. I think the lead spacer was a good idea, as long as it didn't get tossed when the battery was replaced the first time.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
My Dually is having similar problems and has the same stacked pos side terminal. My battery tests great with my load tester on the top terminals but it has nothing when cranking off just the battery. It just clicks like the batt is dead.

But If I hook a jump starter up to the top terminals it'll crank over and fire up just fine without touching the side terminal cables. Its done this with other batteries and those have fired up other trucks just fine with no problems.

Its gotten so bad that I need to jump it every time I fire it up, even if I drive it an hour then shut it off for 3 mins to fill up. IDK why I can boost the top terminals and that transfers to the side terminals without touching the cables.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't neglect battery terminal connections - for two reasons.
One, resistance there can cause so much heat during cranking the terminal melts. Ask me how I know.
Second, if the vehicle loses contact with the battery (its electrical 'sink') with the engine running, every bulb and circuit that is running can see significant overvoltage - enough to pop every bulb. Ask me how I know.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are two kinds of GMT400 owners: those who've never had this happen and argue that side posts are just fine, and those who've had this happen more than once and went top post. I won't even argue with side post proponents - their time will come. Just know that top post is the option if you never want this problem again.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are two kinds of GMT400 owners: those who've never had this happen and argue that side posts are just fine, and those who've had this happen more than once and went top post. I won't even argue with side post proponents - their time will come. Just know that top post is the option if you never want this problem again.

I've had this happen at least twice with top post batteries. We used to have a Lexus GX470 and about every 3 years it would do this because of corrosion. I kept a battery terminal cleaner in the glove box.

Our LX470 which is basically the same under the hood has never done it. That always puzzled me.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I tighten and loosen my side post connections at each oil change - Gently with a 5/16 wrench. Haven't had trouble yet.

Seems weird but I have had much more trouble with top mount connections than side posts over the years on different vehicles.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I tighten and loosen my side post connections at each oil change - Gently with a 5/16 wrench. Haven't had trouble yet.

Seems weird but I have had much more trouble with top mount connections than side posts over the years on different vehicles.
The big reason I don't want to change to top posts, is since the 400s use those odd cables, I would have to chop the factory sealed cable ends off. That would be inviting too much corrosion....
I have a GearWrench 5/16" combo that I use for the side terminal bolts, it stays in the door of the Burb (except for now when Burb is in the shop). Now that I know that the cables need to be looked at more closely, I think I'll put the bolts in them like on the Burb.