Upgrading Driving Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
Are these lights any good? I have had a range of cheap lights from walmart and harbor freight and haven't been really impressed with any of them. Next set of lights will be name brand stuff, probably HID or LED.

dunno- but as stated, I won't ever use them in 'off-the-shelf' format. They're gettin' overhauled.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I've got a set of those lights, with an upgraded 'Baron' (Mean Green) harness. Came with 55w bulbs. I upgraded the bulbs to 130w. Boom, shatter, went the lenses. The 130w bulbs were way too hot for the glass. So...got another set that I'm going to upgrade with the 'focuseable' led bulbs from 'Vleds'.

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
Just a thought here...Have you looked into retrofitting them with HIDs? Not sure if the housings are large enough to try it but figured i would throw that out there as an option.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Just a thought here...Have you looked into retrofitting them with HIDs? Not sure if the housings are large enough to try it but figured i would throw that out there as an option.

Oh man? That's the plan for my black truck, along with HID high beams, plus a 9004 low-beam upgrade. You're reading my mind!

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
Oh man? That's the plan for my black truck, along with HID high beams, plus a 9004 low-beam upgrade. You're reading my mind!

Heh....i have 2 6" off road lights retrofitted with 10000 K hids currently but i will be installing 6000K bulbs before the light bar they are on is installed onto the K3500. However i would seriously look at retrofitting a pair of the lights you guys are talking about for my diesel and mount them low on the bumper sport style.

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score

No I haven't... the problem is that I know virtually NADA about HID's or where to get them... do any members on here sell them? For headlights or retrofitting these? Or on the same note, do any of them sell HID light housings (for the my main headlights)?

(I don't have a paypal account or ebay account... or Facebook for that matter :lol:) The only place I really do anything on the web is right here.

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
MOBs sells HID kits, I'm also about to start selling the same kits he does since i'm the canadian vendor for Hyper LEDs, Devs could prob hook you up as well since he to is a vendor for Hyper LEDs.

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
I have 6000k 35w lows, 6000k 55w highs, and 4-high upgrade. It is definitely wayyyyy better than factory. What is this 9004 upgrade?

No I haven't... the problem is that I know virtually NADA about HID's or where to get them... do any members on here sell them? For headlights or retrofitting these? Or on the same note, do any of them sell HID light housings (for the my main headlights)?

(I don't have a paypal account or ebay account... or Facebook for that matter :lol:) The only place I really do anything on the web is right here.
Buy some 35w 4500k or 6000k HIDs for the lows and 55w highs. I have xentec HIDs from eBay. They cost about $35 for each pair.

I would take a look at some HID foglights. High wattage halogen lights is old technology.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
What is this 9004 upgrade?

Swap the 9006 low beams (single filament) for the 9004's (dual filament) Instead of with the 4-hi mod low/high mix, you get a true high/high mix. Needs a special harness or adapter which Baron has told me that he could make. I have an old set of H/lights that I've been playing with to see what has to be modded for the 9004 to fit. Actually getting them to fit is not that hard. The prob so far is getting them to stay mounted in the housing. Still have some figuring out to do before I go and start messing with a good set of housings. It's close to being sorted out.

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
I'm going halogen still just because I feel like it :lol:

When I upgrade my lighting I'm going to do it all at once, LED's and HID's

ANYWAYS:

You must be registered for see images attach

Here's a diagram I found- now bare with me for I am still slow on learning this electric jazz... that's why this little project is so good for me.

Okay- so far I have collected my 100w bulbs,OEM fog light switch and a 30a relay switch.

Things I still need to get:

12au wire
in line fuse (30a, I suppose???)

So here's my question- I see that the back of my fog switch has multiple pegs and I am not sure what they are all for... anyone have a diagram for it?

Another question is does the power line(s) from my fuse box to my switch to the relay have to be 12au? I would think not... I have a bunch of 16au that came with the lamps, would that work for everything on the switch-side of the relay?

Thanks in advance anyone who feels like helpin' me understand this all....