Upgrading Driving Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
Okay, so my folks got me some Baja Desert Fox driving lights. They are 55w halogens. I'm getting a diesel bumper (hopefully soon) so they should work perfectly.

I've done some research and it seems that the included wiring is hardly up to par + they can handle a much brighter bulb so long as you kick up the already-bad wiring.

SO- I am going to stick in something like a 100w or bigger. What size wiring should I run? 12awg? Would a 30amp relay be enough? I'm not very good at electrical stuff, so I kind of need what I would need for these... basically, all I will end up keeping is the housing. I'll be getting new wiring, new bulbs, a relay and an OEM switch (i hope)

And if someone could whip up a wiring diagram, that would be STUPENDOUS!!! (rep for sure) Electrical is one of those things that I know zilch/zero/nada about, so talk to me like a preschooler :lol:

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

100+100=200 watts

200 watts/12 volts=16.67 amps

12 awg will be fine.

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
wally world stuff

All I'm keeping stock is the housing, everything else will be new. Then you can have a really nice set of lights for a lot cheaper price.

I haven't done any measurements or anything, but I am next to positive that they will work on the bumper. Stock I am not sure what all they contain, but they are 55w halogen driving lights- they also sell fog lights, but those have cloudier lens.

I'll keep you guys posted for how it works out.

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
do you have any farm supply/sporting good stores? like Mills or Fleet Farm? Those carry that brand around here... there must be some equivalent where you live

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
o checked oriellys, autozone, advanced auto, walmart, meijer, harbor frieght, havent hecked tractor supply but my friend works there so ill ask him to check for me.