Upgrading Driving Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

switch power from fusebox (like above):
-12 volts to the power lug on the switch
-ground wire on the ground lug
-wire to pin 85 (or 86 doesn't matter) to acc lug
-ground wire on pin 86(or 85)

OR

switch power from battery:
-12 volts to pin 85(or 86)
-pin 86(or 85) to the power lug on the switch
-ground wire on the ground lug
-ground wire on the acc lug

Relays are easy to understand:

You must be registered for see images attach

This picture is at a normal state. A relay is like an electromagnetic switch. When you apply power and ground to pins 85 and 86 a magnet flips the closed circuit from 87a to 87. So, in this picture, without power to 85/86 power added to 30 and 87a is a closed(on) circuit, and 30 and 87 is open (off).

By the way, the signal side of the relay(85/86) is very low amperage and I have used 22 ga wire to wire that circuit without problems.

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
If you wire it like the picture, 87A requires no wire on it.

First time I used relays a few years ago I made that mistake and took me a while to figure it out. :lol:

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
VL- use 12 ga wire those 100w bulbs are gonna use some power. I would probably use 10 personally but I go for overkill in these situations because I've melted to many switches an wiring by trying to save a buck or two...

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
VL- use 12 ga wire those 100w bulbs are gonna use some power. I would probably use 10 personally but I go for overkill in these situations because I've melted to many switches an wiring by trying to save a buck or two...

Right, I'm going to use 12 gauge... maybe 10... I was just wondering bout the switch side of the relay, since as Half-Assed said, they are just electromagnetic switches.

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

GREEN: ground
RED: 10/12 gauge wire
BLUE: 16 gauge wire

so will this work?

chevyman0191

OBS till I die
Reaction score
heres a wiring diagram that i used for my pro comps... the wiring diagram was made to run 2 135 watt bulbs but i changed them to 55 watt.

http://docupub.com/docs/526238cf-fe03-42ec-9b93-0da3721fe0d3/SCAN0001.pdf

edit: and i do have an inline fuse from battery to relay which the diagram does not show.... from your drawing looks pretty much the same... only thing I have had people tell me to get power for switch from battery but i did mine from fuse box easier and closer and had no problems.

Last edited:

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score

chevyman0191

OBS till I die
Reaction score
Thanks! Looks pretty much like what I had scribbled up. It's probably as easy as changing a tire, it's just so daunting to me that I want to know exactly what I am doing before I get into it

no problem, yeah pretty simple jus do one wire at a time, ive done 2 sets of lights on 2 different vehicles with that diagram it isnt bad.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right, I'm going to use 12 gauge... maybe 10... I was just wondering bout the switch side of the relay, since as Half-Assed said, they are just electromagnetic switches.

Oh my bad, ya you could use a smaller gauge wire to turn on the relays that doesn't require much current. I thought you were meaning the lights themselves.