Tyre pressures and wear.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pretty sure a 2500 Suburban requires a load range "E" tire. That's about a 3K lb rating per tire, max inflation 80 psi. Even a 1500 Suburban should be running XL tires which are a little over 2K lb per tire, max inflation 50 psi. That's why I'm saying the 44 psi max inflation on your sidewall is telling me the tires aren't chosen correctly for your truck.

There's some slightly conflicting information based on standards vs. how a particular manufacturer may have made a tire - it might exceed the standards, so the max inflation listed for a particular tire might be higher than what the standard calls for. Here's some more info though: https://www.tirerack.com/upgrade-garage/what-are-load-ranges-ply-ratings

What's the load range on your sidewall?

Richard
1120kg is the load range on the sidewall.
I'll dig deeper into this tomorrow - it's getting too dark here to read what's on the tyre - and reference it to the linked article. Remember I'm in the UK and possibly tyres here are marked differently than in USA. Tomorrow.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Pretty sure a 2500 Suburban requires a load range "E" tire. That's about a 3K lb rating per tire, max inflation 80 psi. Even a 1500 Suburban should be running XL tires which are a little over 2K lb per tire, max inflation 50 psi. That's why I'm saying the 44 psi max inflation on your sidewall is telling me the tires aren't chosen correctly for your truck.

I'm inclined to agree with this. 44 PSI max sounds very low for a Suburban tire. I'll double check my BFG KO2s on my 'burb but I'm pretty sure their max pressure is around 80 PSI.

Do you consider it dangerous to run at 50psi when the max is supposedly 44psi?

I'm no expert, and being only 6 PSI above the max I'd think you're probably OK, but I've always been told that exceeding the max PSI on the sidewall is a bad idea. Personally I wouldn't do it if I could avoid it.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
1120kg is the load range on the sidewall.
I'll dig deeper into this tomorrow - it's getting too dark here to read what's on the tyre - and reference it to the linked article. Remember I'm in the UK and possibly tyres here are marked differently than in USA. Tomorrow.
1120 kg = about 2470 lbs, seems a little shy of requirement. The "E" load range tires listed with 3K lb rating are probably specified with the full potential cargo/towing capacity of the 2500 Suburban design in mind, and you may not ever load it that heavy. However, (and I do consider that the U.S. is lawsuit-happy) retail tire shops will not even install a lower-rated tire than the vehicle spec calls for.

Richard

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
44 PSI max sounds very low for a Suburban tire

Max PSI for the tire isn't the deciding factor for the correct tire for the vehicle.

E rated tires generally have a max pressure rating of 80psi...in all my years running 3/4T+ pickups, I've never ran an E-rated(10 ply) tire at the full 80psi.

As long as the tire is rated high enough to carry the weight of the vehicle, and is aired up properly, there should be no issues. The reason the whole Ford Explorer/Firestone thing happened was Ford published too low of a PSI for the Firestone tires they installed on the Exploder...that was Ford's fault. They wanted to improve the ride and disregarded what the tire required.

The tire is wearing the middle out very aggressively on the OP's tread because it is overinflated by 14%, even running at 44psi would probably cause the center to wear that way.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Agreed with everything above. You need to run them below 44psi. As long as you dont load the suburban with anything and just daily drive it, you can run them until they are worn out but be sure to get E rated 80psi tires next time!

Live and learn moment

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Max PSI for the tire isn't the deciding factor for the correct tire for the vehicle.

Agreed, I wasn't trying to imply that it was. Just recalling that the passenger tires I ran on my 'burb for a while were right around 45 PSI for max rated pressure, and they weren't really up to the task.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
Agreed, I wasn't trying to imply that it was. Just recalling that the passenger tires I ran on my 'burb for a while were right around 45 PSI for max rated pressure, and they weren't really up to the task.

My mistake, my comprehension on the written word isn't great sometimes.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm no expert, and being only 6 PSI above the max I'd think you're probably OK, but I've always been told that exceeding the max PSI on the sidewall is a bad idea. Personally I wouldn't do it if I could avoid it.
My plan - I think - is to run out this tank of fuel at 50psi (just to check my missing 1mpg!) then lower them to around or below 44psi.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1120 kg = about 2470 lbs, seems a little shy of requirement. The "E" load range tires listed with 3K lb rating are probably specified with the full potential cargo/towing capacity of the 2500 Suburban design in mind, and you may not ever load it that heavy.
The door jamb specifies LT and E so you've called it right. My mistake it seems is to replace with the same load rating as the previous tyres. Should have read the door jamb, not the sidewall.
You're also correct re the load I carry which doesn't encroach on the current tyre's load capability - so I'll stick with them for now.
However, (and I do consider that the U.S. is lawsuit-happy) retail tire shops will not even install a lower-rated tire than the vehicle spec calls for.

Richard
When they were bought (early 2021) there was a dearth of tyres post Covid and the were bought on-line and taken to a tyre shop for fitting. The manager had a word with the fitter telling him it was OK to fit them despite them being a different width from the previous tyres. He picked up on that but had nothing to say about load capacity - ie, no concerns.