Turbo charging a tbi 350

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought about it too. Some things come to mind -

The stock TBI fuel pump probably won't be sufficient, an EP381 from a 96 Vortec system could.

It'll need a 2BAR MAP sensor to effectively control SA and VE. The EBL Flash-II is set up to control boost and the bottle but, it'll need a separate Trans controller in your case, unless you go with a manual trans.

Otherwise your 7427 PCM will need tuning, maybe with a Moates Emulator or converting to a flash chip like the SST 27SF512 and using TunerPro RT software. Either ECM option can work, they are both running at 8192 Baud rate so, they're fast enough.

IMO, the TBI can be used for blow through injection since the fuel regulator is pressurized and you can jack it up to counteract the pressure from boost but, A VRFPR would help with that. YMMV
You'll probably run out of injector...
ok i was thinking i could have it tuned to run a turbo but did not know thank you although i would not feel comfortable burning a chip do you know any company that you can send a stock chip out and tell them what you have and them burn it. also what would be the limit for boost that the tbi could take
Fuel is gonna be your limiting factor.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i thought about swaping an LS but the wiring discouraged me and the sound im talking about is the whistle. and i want to put a turbo on because it would be different and make some hp and money isn't much of a concern
If money isn't much of a concern then pay someone to do the parts that you find difficult and swap in an LS. There is a metric s#!t ton of info out there for turbo LS motors in these trucks, including several builds here on this site.
Not knocking your choices (we all have different tastes) but adding forced induction to a n/a factory motor is never cheap or easy. It's never as simple as bolt on and go. Fueling and tuning are required for driveability, upgrading components to handle higher power levels, increasing cooling capacity, etc.

theunderlord

Reaction score
I would agree, but sometimes unique is also something fun. If your expecting a lot more power I would LS swap or put a 350 vortec and boost it or a HT383 or or or
Oh totally, but coming up with something that has such small gains and such high costs when compared to an LS swap would be kinda futile.

Even just swapping his engine out for a carbed SB would be far easier and cheaper than what he's talking about doing.

HeavyAsAChevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh totally, but coming up with something that has such small gains and such high costs when compared to an LS swap would be kinda futile.

Even just swapping his engine out for a carbed SB would be far easier and cheaper than what he's talking about doing.
I just ruined my motor and wanted to do a carb’d SBC soooooo bad. But I have to sell the truck instead. $700 in Texas with new tires and a NV3500

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You'll probably run out of injector...
I don't know, if you take a couple 17084304 injectors out of a 91-93 454 TB and jacked the pressure up to 28 PSI, you can support 410 HP @ 0.45 BSFC @ 85% Inj DC. I did that on my bored 46mm TB and NA but couldn't get it to idle right :rolleyes:

You must be registered for see images attach

Like I said, I thought about it, and it would be fun to do but, there are other less involved ways to gain HP. :biggrin:

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know, if you take a couple 17084304 injectors out of a 91-93 454 TB and jacked the pressure up to 28 PSI, you can support 410 HP @ 0.45 BSFC @ 85% Inj DC. I did that on my bored 46mm TB and NA but couldn't get it to idle right :rolleyes:

Like I said, I thought about it, and it would be fun to do but, there are other less involved ways to gain HP. :biggrin:
Agreed in theory it'll support that much power, but you ran into the common issue. It's hard to tune it "down" enough to make it idle.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed in theory it'll support that much power, but you ran into the common issue. It's hard to tune it "down" enough to make it idle.
That's where a Vacuum Referenced Fuel Pressure Regulator or in OP's case a Boost Referenced Fuel Pressure Regulator comes into play :waytogo: