tune up help-spark plug readings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

primal1

Reaction score
i started a tune up on my truck and found my plugs to be really inconsistant. all i've got done is exhaust and a superchips power programmer on a 99 5.7. the plugs in the picture are lined up like your looking in the engine bay. any idea why these look like this and lasted only 25000 miles

Attachments

• IMG_20130414_111506_424.jpg
    IMG_20130414_111506_424.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 48

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really need close up pictures to tell if there is anything seriously wrong, ie detonation or extremely lean mixtures. Far as I can tell you have a bit of oil burning (as evinced by the carbon/soot on the base) and could stand to use a better quality gasoline or regular additive treatments, but nothing to be concerned with. What kind of plugs are they? Delco platinum, Delco copper, other?

primal1

Reaction score
Really need close up pictures to tell if there is anything seriously wrong, ie detonation or extremely lean mixtures. Far as I can tell you have a bit of oil burning (as evinced by the carbon/soot on the base) and could stand to use a better quality gasoline or regular additive treatments, but nothing to be concerned with. What kind of plugs are they? Delco platinum, Delco copper, other?

i run high octane fuel do to the tuner. standard acdelco plug. switched to ngk's. the carbon in my cap was horrible. can anything be done. to make these last longer.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Regular resisiter plugs are only good for about 30K anyways, but like was mentioned previously, there does appear to be a some ash on the top plugs indicating oil burning. As for the Distributor cap, thats just the way they are.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you say that they lasted only 25k miles, do you mean that they were causing the motor to run poorly or that you pulled them and didn't like the look of them? A standard copper plug of any brand will last about 30k miles before they need to be pulled, cleaned, and regapped or discarded. Plugs are so cheap that most just replace them, but they can be filed to restore the sharp edge on the ground and electrode and regapped to spec. This was common practice years and years ago, but not so much in this day and age.

primal1

Reaction score
When you say that they lasted only 25k miles, do you mean that they were causing the motor to run poorly or that you pulled them and didn't like the look of them? A standard copper plug of any brand will last about 30k miles before they need to be pulled, cleaned, and regapped or discarded. Plugs are so cheap that most just replace them, but they can be filed to restore the sharp edge on the ground and electrode and regapped to spec. This was common practice years and years ago, but not so much in this day and age.

it started running badly and threw a code. the #7 plug is really red. #4 was pretty red as well. just kind of concerned me.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Do you use a fuel additive or fuel "cleaner"?

Those reddish deposits are indicative of an additive.

Especially since you have a red "tinge" on all the plugs to a certain extent...

primal1

Reaction score
Do you use a fuel additive or fuel "cleaner"?

Those reddish deposits are indicative of an additive.

Especially since you have a red "tinge" on all the plugs to a certain extent...

yes, my last tank did have a fuel system cleaner. i did not know fuel additives would do that. thanks.