Can anyone help me identify this truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Or their VIN numbers, which are also right there on dashboard. Been a few newbie’s on this site I’ve PM’d asking if they want their build sheets. Some completely wig out about it. Lol

Depending on the state there could be an issue. In MI, there used to be a form that you and a LEO could fill out and claim a vehicle. The LEO was supposed to run the VIN. People started filling them out all by themselves, and getting titles for vehicles they didn't have any real claim to, just because they saw it sitting somewhere. Now (well probably 15 years ago) I was trying to get a motorcycle titled in my name and had to find all this out. It must have been fairly close to the change, because I got the paper all filled out, after having an officer come to my house, only to be told by the local Secertay of State that it was an old form, and wasn't used anymore. I was told the SoS handles it all, and they would do the VIN check at the main office. I had to fill out a form describing how I got the motorcycle. I was told that if someone, that had some sort of authority, gave it to me, and I just didn't find it on the side of the road, it would be fine.

I learned the hard way that "abandoned" is a legal term, and never mention that at the SoS. The first lady to "help" me would not let that description go, and told me I'd have to turn it over to the state, and when it was auctioned off that I could bid on it. That was not going to happen. Thankfully, at another office a lady knew exactly the process I needed to do.

I got the bike from a guy (online) that had cheap rental houses, and it was left behind. He said, come get it, or he was going to push it into a dumpster. It kinda felt sketchy at the time when I went to get it..... I drove to an unoccupied house, opened up the garage door, and wheeled the bike into my truck (with much effort). I never saw anyone except a tenent from another house. I eventually got a title.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depending on the state there could be an issue. In MI, there used to be a form that you and a LEO could fill out and claim a vehicle. The LEO was supposed to run the VIN. People started filling them out all by themselves, and getting titles for vehicles they didn't have any real claim to, just because they saw it sitting somewhere. Now (well probably 15 years ago) I was trying to get a motorcycle titled in my name and had to find all this out. It must have been fairly close to the change, because I got the paper all filled out, after having an officer come to my house, only to be told by the local Secertay of State that it was an old form, and wasn't used anymore. I was told the SoS handles it all, and they would do the VIN check at the main office. I had to fill out a form describing how I got the motorcycle. I was told that if someone, that had some sort of authority, gave it to me, and I just didn't find it on the side of the road, it would be fine.

I learned the hard way that "abandoned" is a legal term, and never mention that at the SoS. The first lady to "help" me would not let that description go, and told me I'd have to turn it over to the state, and when it was auctioned off that I could bid on it. That was not going to happen. Thankfully, at another office a lady knew exactly the process I needed to do.

I got the bike from a guy (online) that had cheap rental houses, and it was left behind. He said, come get it, or he was going to push it into a dumpster. It kinda felt sketchy at the time when I went to get it..... I drove to an unoccupied house, opened up the garage door, and wheeled the bike into my truck (with much effort). I never saw anyone except a tenent from another house. I eventually got a title.
You can go on pretty much any online car sales site and they all list VINS. Or just walk through a parking lot in any State and snap photos of VINS.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
You can go on pretty much any online car sales site and they all list VINS. Or just walk through a parking lot in any State and snap photos of VINS.

True, I didn't really think of any of that. That wouldn't have been so easily done, when I was trying to get that bike legal, though..... everything was still flip-phones, at that point. Maybe it was more than 15 years ago.

Keeper

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In VA, all auto service stations, tire shops, etc have access to the VIN and vehicle info by just inputting the license plate. The digital blanket that is being laid upon us is becoming impossible to avoid, and will not end well for us law abiding commonfolk. Criminals may be evil, but they aren't dumb. IMO

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ben1975