Trying to figure out what ignition control modual i have

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Xxl2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So i am looking up new ignition control moduals I find they make one for a HEI and one for not How can i tell which one i have? Distributor is the one it came from the factory with
Truck is 91 c 1500 4.3

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
HEI stands for High Energy Ignition, which is GM's name for electronic ignition. The early style from the 70s and early 80s has the coil in cap, so they have the big distributor cap. By the time the TBI engine came out, the coil was relocated on the engine, and the cap got smaller.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
HEI is the type of ignition, since GM started having better ignition in late 70s. For your year there is only one module available. Ignore the HEI. Follow install directions!

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make sure you put a thin layer of thermal paste on the bottom of the module when you install it, or it'll overheat and conk out on you once you get about 5 miles from home. Pretend you're gluing it on but you don't want the paste squishing out of the sides and it'll be the right amount.

Xxl2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Make sure you put a thin layer of thermal paste on the bottom of the module when you install it, or it'll overheat and conk out on you once you get about 5 miles from home. Pretend you're gluing it on but you don't want the paste squishing out of the sides and it'll be the right amount.
Any kind of thermal paste works. ?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So i am looking up new ignition control moduals I find they make one for a HEI and one for not How can i tell which one i have? Distributor is the one it came from the factory with
Truck is 91 c 1500 4.3
"Without HEI" is pretty-much a parts-book screwup.

Every (domestic) GM ignition system since '75 (select models, mid-year '74) have been some version of HEI, which is a GM trademark. There's several versions of HEI, and "apparently" the parts book is thinking of a different system--but that wouldn't apply to your vehicle.

Complicating things somewhat is that GM doesn't use the HEI trade-mark for vehicles starting in the '90s some time, because the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) has come up with a generic name instead of manufacturer-specific names.

Point being, if the module looks the same, has the correct number of connector terminals, and is listed for your vehicle...it's almost certainly correct (unless it's been mis-boxed or something.)