True duel flow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey guys, i recently had true duel pipes put on my 88 k1500. it had duel pipes with some glasspacks and the rest had rusted off right after the cab, so i cut the packs off and just had the duels extended out the back. i've been doing a lot of reading and i always seem to get both answers and i wanted to see what you all think! does you lose torque with no crossover/what are the advantages and disadvantages of true duel?

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
About all i can say is you gain some bottom end power with the proper crossover...i believe its the H pipe style that provides the best gain of the crossover types.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Here's an explanation in a nut shell without going into balancing the engine out and whatnot.

If you ever here someone say something about hurting the engine by having an exhaust without enough back pressure, start disreguarding everything they say. Your stock heads produce way more back pressure than your engine will ever need.

There are two main things you want with an exhaust system. Flow, and Scavenging.

Flow is self explanatory, scavenging is where one part of the exhaust actually helps pull the the other part of the exhaust out and visa versa. A proper Y pipe will actually perform better than "True Duals" or "Straight Pipes". A crossover pipe such as an X or H pipe in dual exhaust systems are there to create a scavenging effect and to balance out the exhaust.

Now one thing you want to keep in mind is that you want the total flow of air into and out of the engine to be balanced. You want your intake to match your exhaust flow. But that's a whole nother book in itself.

My honest opinion? For your truck with it's narly loud straight pipes and killer rusted glass packs with a stock engine, a crossover isn't a big deal. Just cut the exhaust off after the manifolds and run er to the ground!

Reaction score
well that pretty well clears it up for me! i definitely won't be cutting any exhaust off though, so sorry to disappoint. ;) its not like i have a truck built to where it would matter if i lost a few hp down low, but i was curious anyways. i will tell you that its stupid loud... i have 18 in slash tips at 45s out the back and you can certainly hear me comin lol

GMstrong

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
horns pretty much cleared it up about the whole backpressure theory,and crossover.I had the same setup with shorty headers and stupid loud is an understatement especially with 700lbs scrap in a very tight city with cops on every corner.mine is a vortec 350,videos or your bsing.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well that pretty well clears it up for me! i definitely won't be cutting any exhaust off though, so sorry to disappoint. ;) its not like i have a truck built to where it would matter if i lost a few hp down low, but i was curious anyways. i will tell you that its stupid loud... i have 18 in slash tips at 45s out the back and you can certainly hear me comin lol

18" tips! Pics please....