Truck dies at idle after cam install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Heavy Chevy

Reaction score
If that's an automatic, the weight of the spinning torque converter will help some.

Depending on your altitude and cranking speed, that's nothin' special. I find most stock engines have around 150--160; I hate seeing less than 140 around here. But what you've posted would meet GM specs. If it were farther off, I'd wonder about cam timing.

Connect a scan tool, look at the sensor data, fuel trims and other computer outputs. How old is the O2 sensor? Ten minutes?

What is the fuel pressur

Heavy Chevy

Reaction score
Ireplaced the cam,timing chain lifters springs and seals to make sure it was optimal. I don't have a scanner for obd1, but I did all the fuel mods that exist for the TBI except for the 22lb spring(I did shim it though). The fuel pump is 600hp capable and you can hear it shoot back into the tank.I actually had to put a bend on the return in the tank because it would affect the flow to the TBI.Timing ran better at 4°
So I locked it in for the time being. I even blocked off the egr also tried running the map to the vac canister alone and it got worse. I then diconnected the map sensor and egr but It burns so rich anything under 1000 rpm that I have to shut the truck down and get fresh air.

Heavy Chevy

Reaction score
Ireplaced the cam,timing chain lifters springs and seals to make sure it was optimal. I don't have a scanner for obd1, but I did all the fuel mods that exist for the TBI except for the 22lb spring(I did shim it though). The fuel pump is 600hp capable and you can hear it shoot back into the tank.I actually had to put a bend on the return in the tank because it would affect the flow to the TBI.Timing ran better at 4°
So I locked it in for the time being. I even blocked off the egr also tried running the map to the vac canister alone and it got worse. I then diconnected the map sensor and egr but It burns so rich anything under 1000 rpm that I have to shut the truck down and get fresh air.
Anything above 1200 rpm and it romps to about 5600 like a racecar. ( I also hogged out the inake and exhaust ports when I rebuilt the motor It's got well under 20,000 miles. Mabe itll be better when I get the trans back. If not Ima just bite the bullet and put a rpm airgap and new eldebrock I was saving for another 350

Heavy Chevy

Reaction score
Well, I bit the bullet and went carb! Thanks to all the you tube videoes of the install and exactly how to do it made the swap kind of easy. I built my own TPS bracket as well and ran the fuel lines and vac canister by the ABS box and it almost looks factory(JK). Now Im just (STILL) waiting on my trans to come back which wouldn't seat the converter all the way in (first-time for everything!)

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's no vacuum hookup on our transmissions, and I'm running my engine with a Holley Sniper. The factory computer still works the torque converter clutch just fine.