Transmission goes boom.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So I take off from a dead stop, kind of quick in heavy traffic, but not peddle to the metal, and it shifts from 2ed to 3ed and goes boom. I let off and it seams ok. Give it some gas, and pull into the store that I was going to. Less then 1 block, but across a 4 lane road. I pull into the parking lot, put it into P, kill the engine, get out and look under the truck, all seams good, I go get my stuff, come out of the store, I look again, and all looks good. I fire up the truck, put it in R and it shifts, but nothing is there. No R. I push it back words, far enough to turn around, and put it into OD. All seams good. I pull out it shifts out of 1st into 2ed, all good then it goes to 3ed, and there is nothing there. Just to make sure, when I get home, about 1/4 mile away. When I get home, I always back into the drive way, so I try, but no R again. I jack up the truck after pushing it back words into the driveway. In OD its all good with the tires off the ground. I hit the brakes, and put it in R. The wheels start turning, bit seem slow. I grab a tire, and it stops turning, so I get my wife to hold that tire with the palm of her hands, while I go grad the other tire. I can stop it from turning. So I say let the tire go, I let mine go and crawl under the truck after I have my wife hold the brakes in R. I tell Her let off of the brake, and I put my hands on the drive shaft with he brakes off. I can stop it from spinning. Well I guess Im going to the trans shop tomorrow. Time for a reman.

Last edited:

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Oh Christ, he's gonna tell you he can build a 4L60 to stand up behind a blown big block.
LOL. Im hoping He will be at least somewhat honest. The owner of our shop used to do some custom machine work for the owner of the trans shop. We will see. If I dont like what he has to say, then I will go to another trans shop that I know the owner races at the our 2 local drag race tracks. The first shop is a closer so I will post when I know something. I was hoping to get more that 2 weeks of time between the diff rebuild, and a trans reman. I know it was coming for the trans reman though. I keep thinking about the guy who offered me $7000 for my truck about 2 months ago. I know this, after the trans is done, I couldnt take any less than $12,000 for my truck. After the trams reman, nothing on the truck will be over 5 years old except the engine.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I really did waffle between the 2 myself, but I tow so in the end I caved on the peace of mind of knowing, not hoping, that it would stay together. I originally sourced a 2wd core and needed a pan, extension housing, and output shaft to make me whole. I was directed to a big trans shop that had been in business forever and he had the pan and shaft on the shelf and ordered me the iron extension housing, all the while running his mouth about this 700R4 he'd built for some guy with a 454 square body dually. He was really proud of himself and loved to talk about it. I couldn't get out the door quick enough.

1ton-o-fun

Automotive Durability Tester
Reaction score
Friends don't let friends run 4L60Es. I've never met you Kenny but I'd consider you a friend. So I'm sorry, you're gonna have to 4L80E swap it.

Your trucks rear end assembly will last forever now, might as well go for the trans that lives happily in 1-ton trucks.
And I'd say "$15,000 is bottom dollar for the truck."