Transmission goes boom.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok guys, yall can let me have it for not doing the 4L80 swap. I blew up the trans again. Broke the out put shaft, trans case, lol just blew up the thing. I brought it back to the trans shop last Monday a week ago, on Memorial day. It happened the Thursday before but they couldnt get to it before that.
. I got it back at 5:30 yesterday. I think they just has thw pressures turned up to much, and with the shift kit, it was just to much. I blew shifting out of 1st into 2ed when the shift kit hit. The trans did BOOM again. So I told them to leave out the shift kit, and turn down the pressure. They had to replace the case and internals. Cost me nothing. Just had to spend a week without my truck again. Boss let me use the shop truck again. Im glad to have mine back though.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Your lucky they warrantee'd it!!
Oh that was discussed before I used that shop to start with. The what ifs. He said then, they stand behind there work. 2 years or 24,000 miles what ever comes first. I have to bring it back in 2 weeks for a check up unless I see something wrong.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Oh, man! Sorry to hear that! Where you running it hard when it blew? This one lasted even less than the your previous unit, no? At some point the tranny shop is going to either refuse to fix it or lose their shirt. Again, sorry.
About 1/3 throttle, but it did hit hard when it went into 2ed gear. Without the shift kit, and the pressures back to OE settings, I souldnt have an issue again, I hope. The rebuild lasted about 3 months or a little less. So we will
see what happens next.