Transmission goes boom.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1ton-o-fun

Automotive Durability Tester
Reaction score
Hey Kenny,
Are you a full grown teenager like me? Every time I've had a vehicle that would bark the tires in second, I "had to" do it every time I had a chance. Before my 11 second Mustang or my 12 second Malibu, was a plain Jane '78 Malibu wagon with faded out woodgrain exterior and a wimpy little 305/th350. I had the cheapo shift kit (removed the springs). It wasn't so much a "bark", when it hit second, it sounded more like you just kicked a poodle! I think the fact that it was all stock and dead silent helped accentuate the shift. It was fun!

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hey Kenny,
Are you a full grown teenager like me? Every time I've had a vehicle that would bark the tires in second, I "had to" do it every time I had a chance. Before my 11 second Mustang or my 12 second Malibu, was a plain Jane '78 Malibu wagon with faded out woodgrain exterior and a wimpy little 305/th350. I had the cheapo shift kit (removed the springs). It wasn't so much a "bark", when it hit second, it sounded more like you just kicked a poodle! I think the fact that it was all stock and dead silent helped accentuate the shift. It was fun!
Yep. I turned 62 in Feb. My wife said I act like Im 17. My truck will bark a second too, so yea, its fun to chirp a second. When the trans shop told me they installed a shift kit, it made me smile. Its not the first vehicle I have had with a shift kit. Im not sure what kind of 1/4 mile time Im running now. I was at a 15 second flat before the rear end rebuild, with the gear swap, and before the trans rebuild. Im sure I dropped into the 14s, maybe high 14s, but 14s none the less. I will have to time it, but Im not ready yet. Hell, this is my dailey driver LOL.

1ton-o-fun

Reaction score
It just dawned on me that tomorrow is test & tune at my local 1/8th mile track.
I might just have to go get baseline numbers on the big ol' truck. See what the difference is between a 5.7 TBI and a 500 cubic inch Cadillac engine!
My guess is not much with the rock hard E rated tires. Maybe lots of 1 wheel tire spin with the Caddy engine...

1ton-o-fun

Reaction score
What’d you put a 500 in?

(Sounds like fun)

GOING TO put in my cclb. Right now, it's a stock 286k mile 5.7, 4L80E, 4.10 open diff truck. I think I'll go get a couple of baseline runs in it before starting a build. Just for ***** and giggles. Is not/will not be a race truck, but it should be a...(wait for it....)...

...1ton-o-fun! :rockit:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im not sure what kind of 1/4 mile time Im running now. I was at a 15 second flat before the rear end rebuild, with the gear swap, and before the trans rebuild. Im sure I dropped into the 14s, maybe high 14s, but 14s none the less.
When I went from 3.42s to 4.11s I gained 3/10 of a second in both 0-60 and 1/4 mile with nothing else changed. I was hoping for more of a gain but, a gain is a gain.:biggrin:

I'm sure your trans will help some too with faster shifting.:waytogo: