Transmission goes boom.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
WOT 3-4 is supposed to be a death sentence for a 4L60. Or so I thought.
Well after the rebuild with everything HD and vette survos, and He added a shift kit ( yes it barks a 2ed) the shop owner keep saying it has to be something in the control system. He first unhooked the wiring, and installed a manual shift box. He could make it shift in any gear, at any speed. Everything inside the trans was holding. He keep saying, its in the control side, not the transmission. Something isnt tell the trans to shift. So He said, it my be the TPS but He wasnt sure, so I went and got one, and swapped it. I said at least, this will eliminate the TPS. Then after no luck with that, He keep saying, its not the trans, the trans is solid. Its in the control side. He even said, if He had to, He would build another trans and swap them, but its in the control side, He jist needed to figure it out, and it may take some time. This was Tuesday. He calls today, and says my truck is ready. So I get there, and ask, what was it. He smiles and says, the speed sensor was bad. Ok, that makes sense. I have run is several times today, and all is good at last.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Was that the original transmission and how many miles were on it?

(Doing some serious knocking on wood over here)
4L60E. 253,000 plus. My truck is a 97 5.7L c1500. My last truck was a 1993 WT with a 4.3L and a 4L60E. It went out at 275,000 miles. I drive my truck fast and hard a lot, and like the WT, my 97 Silverado is my daily driver. IMO, the WT lasted longer, because it had less power, but IDK for sure. If you drive easy, Im sure you could get more miles out od the trans. Also FYI, the trans shop owner and I talked about fluid and filter changes. After about 100,000 miles, its better NOT to change the oil, because trans fluid has a lot of cleaning additives in it, and this washes away any film that can be helping the bans and clutches to grip. This is coming from a guy that owns a transmission shop, and has been doing this work for over 40 years. I called several transmission shops before mine bit he dust, and everyone of them said this, just drive the truck until the trans quits. Have it remanufactured at that point, so thats what I did. I glad its done now. It cost me $2811.14 with tax for a heavy duty, perfomance rebuild with a thicker harden sun shell, shift kit and corvette servos. Oh, and a new torque converter,and I had them replace the rear main seal too. Everything inside my trans is new and heavy duty, and, or high performance.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’d say you got your use out of it then. I’ve heard that about the fluid as well. I have three 98s, all plus or minus 200k on them. Only one has had a rebuild.

Compared to how they were in the 70s-80s, I can’t complain about getting 200k on a transmission.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I’d say you got your use out of it then. I’ve heard that about the fluid as well. I have three 98s, all plus or minus 200k on them. Only one has had a rebuild.

Compared to how they were in the 70s-80s, I can’t complain about getting 200k on a transmission.
My wife said I should have wen to autozone and got a trans. I said no, because, for one thing,good luck getting the rite trans. Only a 96 and 97 will interchange. Although, a 4L60E is a 4L60E, the control systems are different from year to year. A co worker with a 2006 Avalanche, got a mail order trans from a shop in Fla. He had to reuse the valve body out of his old trans to make it shift rite. And then, he had to do all the work himself. Another thing, I still have my original transmission in the truck. So its still all original. OE engine, trans, and rear end, although like the trans,I rebuilt the rear end a week and a half before the trans blew up. I went from 342s to 373s and went from an open diff to an Eaton truetrac LSD. So now everything in my rear end, and trans is new, but its still the original units.