Transmission goes boom.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1ton-o-fun

Automotive Durability Tester
Reaction score
Hate the ill-timed expense for you, but glad you're back on the road!
Did the trans guy give you a warranty of any kind? Or any advice on what "not" to do?

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hate the ill-timed expense for you, but glad you're back on the road!
Did the trans guy give you a warranty of any kind? Or any advice on what "not" to do?
Yes He gave me 2 years, or 24,000 miles and told me to come back in 2 weeks for a check up. Also said do a fluid and filter change at 40,000 miles. I asked if I need to take it easy for a brake in. He said well dont tow anything untill your check up, or dont take it to the local drag track and do like 30 passes, but other than that, you can drive it like you stole it. They had 4 more 4L60Es to do as of yesterday. He says they do these all the time, and almost never have a come back. Im very happy with these people so far.

1ton-o-fun

Reaction score
Yes He gave me 2 years, or 24,000 miles and told me to come back in 2 weeks for a check up. Also said do a fluid and filter change at 40,000 miles. I asked if I need to take it easy for a brake in. He said well dont tow anything untill your check up, or dont take it to the local drag track and do like 30 passes, but other than that, you can drive it like you stole it. They had 4 more 4L60Es to do as of yesterday. He says they do these all the time, and almost never have a come back. Im very happy with these people so far.

Awesome! Sounds good. I think I'm going to skip the search for a great trans shop here by swapping out to a 5-speed in my Crown Vic. I ALSO hope that the Gremlins can't read this and decide to show me different once my 4L80E is behind a 500 inch engine, lol!

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, how are you going to mount the 4L80 behind the Caddy? The Caddy uses the BOP bolt pattern, and came with a TH400. I don't think any 4L80s came in BOP. Adapter plate?

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Yep, while you're at it, stop in at GrandMarq.net and make a profile. Lots of good information there about that swap and Panthers in general. I'm partial to the "box" era stuff and have had several of them between the wife and I.

1ton-o-fun

Reaction score
Do it. I know a guy who did it and loved it.

Yep, while you're at it, stop in at GrandMarq.net and make a profile. Lots of good information there about that swap and Panthers in general. I'm partial to the "box" era stuff and have had several of them between the wife and I.

Haven't been to that one, but I'm on Panther Bulletin Board and crownvic.net

After you 5-speed swap it, you need to add turbos.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

In a perfect world, I would have one with a Coyote 5.0, one with a 6.0 LS, and one with a 500 Cadillac.

Sorry Kenny, didn't mean to hijack. I will take my Panther friends to my Other Builds thread, lol!

I know it's not a race truck, but it would have been kinda cool if you had a time slip before and after to see if the shift changes made a difference.

Sam Cooper

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, how are you going to mount the 4L80 behind the Caddy? The Caddy uses the BOP bolt pattern, and came with a TH400. I don't think any 4L80s came in BOP. Adapter plate?

I used a Transdapt plate to bolt a built 700R4 behind a 403 Olds engine and it worked great. That 9 passenger Cruiser would rock with the overdrive.