Trans temp sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
There is a test port on the drivers side of the trans. that the sensor fill thread in and not interfere with anything. I cant find the link to the info and diagram of the install. I did mine this way, hardest part was locating the port. Almost impossible to see, you have to unbolt the shift linkage, this also allowed getting a wrench in there.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
Shouldn't have to, NPT is tapered threaded.

If your worried about it put a little dab of RTV silicone on it. Teflon tape shouldn't be used on anything mechanical from what i have read.

it is a single wire sender it works by grounding, you cannot have sealer on it or it may not read properly if at all, it needs the threads to get contact

Reaction score
Autometer has right in the instructions for temp. sensor installation to use a teflon sealing compound.

Pipe thread will not seal liquid or air tight without some type of sealing compound on the threads.

3linkedchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is a test port on the drivers side of the trans. that the sensor fill thread in and not interfere with anything. I cant find the link to the info and diagram of the install. I did mine this way, hardest part was locating the port. Almost impossible to see, you have to unbolt the shift linkage, this also allowed getting a wrench in there.

Shift linkage has to come off anyways for the new shifter, so that will work out perfect!

Thanks again everyone

Reaction score
Well I searched high and low for the forum I got my info from on doing the sensor install, found it and the link/website is no longer active!