Trans cooler and upgrade radiator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As said, 195 is no problem, in fact the fan clutch probably doesn't engage until the engine is hotter than that. Some vehicles with electric fans don't turn 'em on until 210, the second one comes on at 220.

The vehicle doesn't care about 195. You shouldn't either.

As long as the engine temp stays reasonable, the in-radiator heat exchanger keeps the transmission at a stable temperature--warm when cold, cool when hot.

If you aren't carrying heavy loads, towing trailers up mountains, etc, you probably do not need another trans cooler. You'd be better-off by changing the filter and flushing the old fluid than to add a cooler you don't require. OTOH, if you ARE towing trailers or filling the bed with scrap-metal, driving in 2nd gear with the torque converter unlocked...sure, a trans cooler could be a good investment.

Logan R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok I will keep that in mind. Maybe I’ll just do a Junkyard one, so I only plan to tow every so often. And I got all new fluid in it as well as a filter so at least I’m that far along

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As said, 195 is no problem, in fact the fan clutch probably doesn't engage until the engine is hotter than that. Some vehicles with electric fans don't turn 'em on until 210, the second one comes on at 220.

The vehicle doesn't care about 195. You shouldn't either.

As long as the engine temp stays reasonable, the in-radiator heat exchanger keeps the transmission at a stable temperature--warm when cold, cool when hot.

If you aren't carrying heavy loads, towing trailers up mountains, etc, you probably do not need another trans cooler. You'd be better-off by changing the filter and flushing the old fluid than to add a cooler you don't require. OTOH, if you ARE towing trailers or filling the bed with scrap-metal, driving in 2nd gear with the torque converter unlocked...sure, a trans cooler could be a good investment.
Converter should lock in 2nd gear on a 700r4. My carbureted G20 van and later TBI setup with the correct OE wiring and pressure switch locked the 700r4 in 2nd gear. It is the 4L60Es that mostly were not programmed for 2nd gear lockup. In some of the heavier vehicles the 4L60E was also factory programmed to lock in 2nd. It is mostly the 4x4 Suburbans and the fullsize Vans I have seen with 2nd gear lockup programmed into the 4L60E.

Insert Quarter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok I will keep that in mind. Maybe I’ll just do a Junkyard one, so I only plan to tow every so often. And I got all new fluid in it as well as a filter so at least I’m that far along
It's probably fine, but personally, if I haven't worked on the trans before, I double check the accuracy of the dipstick while I have the pan off changing the filter. (FYI - in the video he's talking about filling a brand new trans that's never been ran, for one that's been ran check the service manual recommended fluid amount)

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

FWIW - The trans coolers I've seen, the instructions recommend routing:
transmission output to stock radiator tank cooler - stock radiator tank cooler output to external cooler - external cooler to transmission input.

If you haven't bought one yet, Hayden makes by-pass coolers. When the fluid is cold it opens an internal valve so that most of the fluid shunts straight to the output.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I run a M7B on the van plumbed in after the in-radiator cooler. In the Texas weather it works perfectly. Towing in 108F with a converter that stalls near 3,000 rpm my trans does not break ~180F.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Compared to the OE GM van cooler. The GM cooler had a pinhole leak in it, thus the need for replacement.
You must be registered for see images attach

pgutier1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can put the largest, nicest core radiator on it around, but if you still have the 5 bladed steel finger chopper and a slipping, weak fan clutch it will not matter much. 11 bladed fan for a 99 Tahoe is a direct bolt on to a TBI clutch.
Hey wait, the 11 bladed fan works better...why? So you're saying I should get rid of that finger chopper??