track width difference?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, looks much more exaggerated on the K2500/3500.

I know everyone says the rear is too narrow, but I think the front is just way too wide. The rear axle width of the NBS is basically the same width as the GMT 400s, but on those trucks they must have made the front closer to match the rear...they don't have that goofy "bulldog" look as these trucks.

It's only on the 4x4s models. The 2wd seem "normal" and rear axle width are the same for 2wd vs 4x4, I think. Again, specifically talking about the 14 bolt rear axle.

Then there's something about the actual width of the fenders, front vs rear being different. Maybe that's what throws the eye off? Dunno

DonYukon

Dont stop until it sounds expensive
Reaction score
From my expierence the 4x4s are the only ones that suffer from this ****. my 2 door drives me crazy. I lowered it and the fronts stick out much farther. from what I remember the Stock for stock this is normal as the front ends require a little more track width up front to help with vehicle wandering and general tracking. also a years old article on these trucks I read that the width was added to help with engineering issues when the IFS's were first launched ( how true that is Im unsure, and I can't find the source where I read that).

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Virtually all street-driven passenger vehicles (except Doolies) have a more-narrow rear track than front. Helps with cornering.

It gets extreme on some vehicles. Take a look at a Citroen SM sometime. FWD, Maserati V-6. Hydropneumatic suspension with adjustable ride-height as you drive. Car automatically lowers at highway speed. They didn't give you a tire-changing jack. You'd raise the ride-height of the car with three wheels, and lower the ride-height of the flat tire to raise it off the pavement. Variable-assist two-turns lock-to-lock power steering. All that in 1970. Looks about as wide as a kid's tricycle in back. The previous model--the Citroen DS, was even narrower--and had the FWD and hydropneumatic bits starting in 1955.

Leave it to the French.

Last edited:

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an '89 C1500 with 15x10s Convo Pros installed by a conversion truck company when it was new. My track widths are 67" front and 68" rear, but that's with the wider wheels and with my fronts cambered out.

You must be registered for see images attach