Towing Long Distance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigReb95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Actually @letitsnow , you’re dead on. My truck has 3.73s, 4L60e, 35s, and a 6” lift. That is funny.

@RichLo you may be right. I reserved one just in case I change my mind with no deposit from enterprise trucks.

My 95 is my every day driver, has been for years. So I know what she’s capable of. The towing isn’t my worry. It’s the little things, like fuel pump or wires or something so small that causes me big money and time. But I do appreciate all of your advice as I still go back and forth in my head.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Have you ever watched Vice Grip Garage on youtube? He's great motivation when I start thinking like you are about taking longer trips in my classics.

If you trust it as your daily chariot, why doubt it with a longer drive with a heavier load? The only difference is your burning more gas and driving a little slower.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Just think of it this way: how often does it leave you stranded? About every how many tanks? Never? Send it. I had some folks back home in the U.P. of MI shocked I'd drive a 98 truck 1300 miles one way from CO, but I'm of the mindset that it doesn't break down every 4 tanks of fuel so why would I hesitate to drive it that far? Old trucks there are f'in piles, so there's that. People are broke, only fix what's absolutely necessary to make it move under its own power, and most have met their maker due to rust.

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Almost 40 years with two car trailers with surge brakes. Rebuilding one this winter and putting on new surge. You won't have any issues with surge brakes. There are electric or mechanical backing provisions. You can back them slowly without them if it is not uphill. Always look at truck braking capacity when towing. Another thing to consider is repair cost if you do break down on the road. Parts prices are cheap for OBS trucks compared to some other vehicles. Do you want to pay high $$ to repair a rented, unknown condition truck?

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
All I can add is"be prepared, and go over everything before making the trip". If I wasn't broke most of the time, I would have looked at the belt and particularly the idler pulley, and been able to replace all of that in October or November at my convenience...and not yesterday when the truck said "no mas, mami"....
At least it didn't break on the road, or in downtown Houston at night, where there's no parts store nearby and no lighted safe place to work.

LVJJJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Shouldn't be a problem at all. Been towing a 5500 lb travel trailer since I bought the 1994 k1500 Suburban in 2016. Did install a 383 couple of years ago but did tow for a few years with the 350, gutless but got the job done. Just got back from 3000 mile trip from Washington to southern Arizona. No troubles at all. These GMT 400's are tough trucks and as long as you maintain it properly should run forever. I'm never worried about getting there.

50ChevyFrank

Reaction score
If renting a U-haul it’s best to be truthful about what you are towing. There’s a worksheet on their website; you enter all the info and it tells you if your setup will pass or not. If, heaven forbid there is a problem you will be covered.

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My boat trailer has surge brakes.

The wheel cylinder is "one sided", backing-up is no problem at all--it's geometrically impossible to get much braking action in reverse. The trailer brakes only work going forward.

You must be registered for see images attach
Mine all have Rambler spindles and brakes, made to brake in reverse. I did not know about one sided cylinders, will have to check the Dexter replacements I have.

tstring

Reaction score
I suggest a transmission temperature gauge. They are cheap, easy to install, and will help you avoid trouble. Back off the throttle or down shift if you see the temperature going over 200-210.

I've towed 5,000-6,000# trailers cross country several times with 95 and 96, 1/2 ton Suburban daily drivers. I've also done the Uhaul thing and prefer to go with the truck I know.