Top end component selection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

90K1/2ton

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Building a 383 or 406 in the future. Truck will be used primarily as a summer driver with occasional towing and off roading.

Truck: 1990 K1500 regular cab/short bed

Transmission:
-NV4500
Rear axle:
-14 bolt with 3.73 gears & limited slip

Short block:
-4 bolt 383 (most likely) OR 2 bolt 406 short block
-~9.5 to 1 compression

Exhaust:
-Long tube headers (1.625" primaries/3" collectors)
-2.5" true duals
-Catless

Carburetor: Holley Street Avenger
-670cfm
-Vacuum secondary
-Square bore

Intake: Edelbrock Performer EPS Vortec

Camshaft: Chevrolet Performance LT4 Hot Cam Hydraulic Roller Cam Kit
-Valve Lift: 0.525 int./0.525 exh.
-Duration at 050 inch Lift: 218 int./228 exh.
-Lobe Separation: 112
-1.6 roller rockers

Heads: Promaxx Performance Vortec Cylinder Heads
-64cc combustion chamber
-185cc intake runner
-2.02" intake valve
-1.60" exhaust valve

Any idea what how much power this combination should produce? What, if anything, would you change?

Thanks,
Eric

Last edited:

90K1/2ton

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about lb ft of torque? What do you recommend as a fuel injection setup?

90K1/2ton

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would 180 or 190cc afr heads yield better numbers? My goal is 1hp/cubic inch and 500lb ft.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
With those kind of ccubic inches, try and at least get 2.02/1.60 heads

90K1/2ton

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Noted. Thank you sir. I forgot to mention that I'm looking to make peak torque @ or below 3500rpm.

Rusty Nail

Artificial membership inflator
Reaction score
I don't like the carb selection.
I dig single pattern cams, don't get me wrong, but my thought is a vacuum secondary carb will both tune AND perform much better for YOUR INTENDED PURPOSE. The Street Avenger 670...
I am also of the opinion that you will be wickedly under performing with that lame intake. Serious choke point! Edelbrock intakes aren't very good...
If it were me, i'd choose a bigger vac. secondary carb and a single plane, SQUARE BORE intake.
I would also make sure to connect the exhaust pipes to improve scavenging for low RPM cruising.
Peak torque below 3500?
NOT. GONNA. HAPPEN.
Here's a quick diddy about LSA. ☺
For some reason i hung up on 112? Seems to me that you are cheating yourself out of a lot of power with a major cash outlay.
Save your money and build a 350.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/en...ngle-explained-and-how-it-affects-horsepower/

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stor...002&langId=-1&productId=1088803&storeId=10001

Last edited:

90K1/2ton

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Copy on the square bore. Not sure what I was thinking there. Won't a single plane intake manifold hurt low end torque vs a dual plane one?

Rusty Nail

Artificial membership inflator
Reaction score
Man, was i tired!
That's not a single pattern cam! Haha, it reads funny to me...
Strokers LIKE single planes and i was working from the cam selection, in error.
I feel much better today.
Pay no attentiin to me ol'boy, it seems pretty decent for its' intended purpose I reckon.
That said, personally i would be hard pressed to pay for a stroker OR a 400 if i was just gonna screw around on the street with it.
THAT being said, i'm still in support of a vacuum secondary carb. You could build TWO 350s for that kind of money. 400s aint cheap..Strokers aint cheap...in a truck, no weight in the back, high gears, thats a tire fryer! Might save the dough for regular changing of the back rubbers!
But then again, that adds to the argument of a low-rise single plane that i think would produce a broader, more flat torque curve with a higher AVERAGE number, lower, while improving fuel suspension and turblence for the small, high velocity -175 runners.

Higher AVERAGE torque is what it's all about.
On the street - PEAK horsepower means little. Your choices are going to matter little, IRL, however, carb selection will be CRITICAL to power output. My second choice would be an 80555.

Meh. Kind of funny really. A short stroke 400 will like a dual plane on the street while a stroker will enjoy a single plane in a truck. IMO.⬅
Kind of pointless to really consider given the engine CHOICES, but still fun.
Thanks for letting me play. God bless America!