Tires??? what do you recommend

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
well ive been looking for some tires for my new truck ive been selling something and saving up what i can im looking to get 265 75 16s

this is my choices in order but i wanted to see what else is out there for something good in mud/snow but still gets semi good milage

kelly safari tsr
goodyear wrangler duratrac
dfinity dakota mt
general grabber at2

any ideas guys i don't have a lot of money hopefully just enough to buy a set and have them mounted and balanced

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Well I'm biased since I sell them, but Nittos are pretty incredible. My Dune Grapplers have done well in all aspects including light snow(never had heavy snow here). The do very well on the highway and I am expecting 60k from them. I have a set of Trail Grapplers(285-70-16, 32X11.50-16) on my 99 Z71, best knobby tires I've ever owned in my life. They ride unbelievably smooth and are completely unsurpassed in wet conditions by any other mud tire. However I am not expecting more than 40k from them. They are at 15k and are around 50% usable tread remaining. I hate the BFG A/Ts. I've had two sets, 31s and 35s, and both were horrible. They didn't wear quickly but they sucked so bad I ditched them with over 50% tread left. The Grabbers are decent for dry trails and roads, but not great in rain and not good in mud. My brother inlaw put some Nitto Dura Grapplers on his F150, very nice ride and seem to last a long time. Excellent in the rain. Not good off road, never been in the snow. Check out the Dune Grapplers, they sound like what you are looking for. I had some Toyo Open Country A/T and M/Ts, both were decent. The M/Ts got about 25k, the A/Ts would have gotten 50k+ if I kept them. Never used the others you mentioned. Hope that helps a little.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
I can only comment on the Duratrac's - and they are really good. Good wear, great off road, and pretty damn good in the snow. Everything else I've got no experience with. Maybe something worth looking at is the Nitto Trail Grappler; and obviously judging by the looks of your list your looking for an all terrain or a bit beefier. The looks are killer to begin with, and almost everyone is getting very good mileage out of them. They're kind of a mild M/T tire, without the awful road noise. Just my .02.

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
Well I'm biased since I sell them, but Nittos are pretty incredible. My Dune Grapplers have done well in all aspects including light snow(never had heavy snow here). The do very well on the highway and I am expecting 60k from them. I have a set of Trail Grapplers(285-70-16, 32X11.50-16) on my 99 Z71, best knobby tires I've ever owned in my life. They ride unbelievably smooth and are completely unsurpassed in wet conditions by any other mud tire. However I am not expecting more than 40k from them. They are at 15k and are around 50% usable tread remaining. I hate the BFG A/Ts. I've had two sets, 31s and 35s, and both were horrible. They didn't wear quickly but they sucked so bad I ditched them with over 50% tread left. The Grabbers are decent for dry trails and roads, but not great in rain and not good in mud. My brother inlaw put some Nitto Dura Grapplers on his F150, very nice ride and seem to last a long time. Excellent in the rain. Not good off road, never been in the snow. Check out the Dune Grapplers, they sound like what you are looking for. I had some Toyo Open Country A/T and M/Ts, both were decent. The M/Ts got about 25k, the A/Ts would have gotten 50k+ if I kept them. Never used the others you mentioned. Hope that helps a little.

great info ill look into them but no one around here sells nitto so id have to order them off line and i think shipping would be killer

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Didn't think about the shipping, but try Discount Tire or Tire Rack. It may surprise you on what you'll actually pay total versus buying local. Good luck.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
great info ill look into them but no one around here sells nitto so id have to order them off line and i think shipping would be killer

Discount Tire has free shipping. I actually sell to Discount, but only wheels. They are a Nitto dealer.

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
I can only comment on the Duratrac's - and they are really good. Good wear, great off road, and pretty damn good in the snow. Everything else I've got no experience with. Maybe something worth looking at is the Nitto Trail Grappler; and obviously judging by the looks of your list your looking for an all terrain or a bit beefier. The looks are killer to begin with, and almost everyone is getting very good mileage out of them. They're kind of a mild M/T tire, without the awful road noise. Just my .02.

Didn't think about the shipping, but try Discount Tire or Tire Rack. It may surprise you on what you'll actually pay total versus buying local. Good luck.

yeah i need a tire with good mileage because i can afford to be replacing them 15k miles down the road i do a lot of driving and want the tire to last this coming summer i will be towing my mud truck to the mud runs and want to be able to get in and out of the mud runs with no problem i also plow snow with the truck so i need something good in the snow i hear great things about the duratracs but they can be expensive around here i have had the kelly safaris but i ended up selling them because i needed money but i fell i bought the kellys right i only paid 775 for all 4 mounted and balance and they were 285s. i guess im just seeing whats out there for a semi aggressive tire thats good on mileage i kno im asking a lot for a agressive tire that last a long. i would like to run 285s again but my truck loses to much gas milage and power because i only have the 305

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
I've had a bunch, and had wonderful experiences with Coopers and Toyos. I like BF Goodrich tires, but not over Toyo or Cooper.

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
I've had a bunch, and had wonderful experiences with Coopers and Toyos. I like BF Goodrich tires, but not over Toyo or Cooper.

coopers and bfgs are way to expensive for me i really like the cooper stt's though

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would recommend the Kumho Road Ventrure KL78 A/T's, I have 265/75/16's on my 94' and I am absolutely blown away on how well they perform in ALL conditions. I live in Minnesota, so they see ALL conditions; rain, snow (DEEP snow), mud, etc etc and the Kumho's have great traction, GREAT ride, NO noise, nice aggressive thread pattern, self clean very well, great handling and are actually pretty affordable. I get all my tires wholesale, but I'd imagine you'd be able to get a set mounted and balanced for right at about $600 retail. I couldn't be happier with these tires, I have right at about 30K on my current set, and they still have a LOT of life left in them! That's my 2 cents any ways!