timing chain and distributor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

7echo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am going to order the parts and replace the timing chain and distributor.

In another thread it was recommended to use a Cloyes 3202S or equivalent. There was a comment to use the single chain rather than a double. What is the advantage of one over the other?

For the distributor I see them from about $65 for a new Cardone up to $235 for a rebuilt AC Delco. What do you guys recommend for a distributor?

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I don't think the traditional double will fit... the 454 has the same issue. I think it's because of the reluctor and crank position sensor.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yup. Cloyes makes a nice single roller that works though, put one in my 1500. Don't **** with Cardone garbage unless you want your car to be done.

upper_tanker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought CC double roller when I was doing my engine. The CC guy INSISTED I buy it. It wasn't even close to fitting for the reasons stated above. I ended up going with Cloyes and haven't looked back.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here is the distributor I bought. And as stated you gotta run a single roller chain on these L31 motors. My **** is still apart so no personal experience yet with this distributor but other reviews were good and having physically checked it out, seems to be good quality for the price. What I liked was the aluminum body and melonized gear at that price point.
You must be registered for see images attach