Time for some body work!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

logikfive

Reaction score
Well, my '98 wasn't exactly pretty when I got it, it looked like someone walked around the truck with a crow bar and beat it in all sorts of random spots. Not only that, but she was cursed by the famous WNY rust. Cab corners are shot (Which I will be replacing soon) and both passenger side wheel arches had some minor rust. Oh, can't forget the typical GM (thank you!) paint peeling.

Now, I don't expect this truck to be perfect, as I will use it as a truck, and because of that I don't have any interest to repaint the whole thing.

Before:
You must be registered for see images attach

Fixed the paint peel, ground out all the rust, converted the bare metal, etch primed, light coat of body filler and primed again.

Dent fixin'

Base and cleared, not blended.

Blended...

Went nuts on the side of it... Still have to finish the door, gotta put rust converter on the bare metal due to the pitting, but I will do that tomorrow.

Fixed the light rust on the back wheel arch, cut out the bad metal and welded in new. Wasn't a whole lot so it wasn't a big deal.

Front fender was about the same.

Little bit of color, after wetsanding the basecoat.

Clearcoated, and wetsanded/buffed together. Still have to do the cab corner/bottom of the door, but those are cake. Don't have the cab corners ordered yet so I'm not worried about either until then.

Now I just need to get some wheel flares!

darren250r

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow. That's lookin great. I've never really seen anyone do blending like that, although I've heard of body shops doing it quite a bit. Yours turned out great. I take you have a bit of body experience.

logikfive

Reaction score
In most cases I would never recommend blending this way, but on black I make exceptions. If you know what you are looking for you can see where I blended it, but it beats respraying the whole panel.

I do have an extensive amount of body repair under my belt, most of it I learned from my father, and some from school. That red Trans Am in one of the photos has plenty of my elbow grease into it. haha

vervepipes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looking good, I can''t see the blend in the pics. Maybe if you highlight it lol

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Holy **** You just amazed me with that I have nearly the same truck except 95 and black also that needs ALOT of blending and I didn't think it could be done till I saw this. Wow.

logikfive

Reaction score
Haha yeah, it's amazing what you can do with basecoat/clearcoat!

Got some more done on the drivers side today, got the dent popped out that was above the cab corner, just need to order the new cab corners so that I can get them in and blended

Drivers side before:

Friggen bug flector made the paint start chipping on the edge of the hood (another reason I hate those friggen things!) While I was at it I fixed the dent on top.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So you just fill or replace the metal, prime it and then base and clear it but how do you actually blend it perfectly like that??? Any idea what it'd cost to "blend" my rocker panels all the way around? They're coated with plasti dip right now. This is the paint from 95'

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I need to learn how to do this...

Also why wouldn't you recommend blending on anything other than black? it seems like black is the "picky" color isn't it?

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
Excellent work man, your 24 and you can do that? I cant imagine the work you will be doing at age 50 if you keep it up. Very nice work.