Time for a new motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tdean91491

Something about an OBS
Reaction score
Alright guys it’s that time, pretty sure main bearings are shot & im going to just bite the bullet and put a crate motor in it.. The dash has over 400k on it & as far as I know the motor hasn’t been changed not 100% on that though. The guy I bought the truck from had it a good while & he told me he never changed it or did any of the internals. My question to you guys is what’s the perfered crate motors for the z71s?

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What are you looking for in a replacement? What I have have come to when or if I replace mine is a crate from GM. To me a brand new engine that what it had from the factory is a better deal the trying to get a good reman.

Tdean91491

Something about an OBS
Reaction score
I’m just looking for a stock replacement, reman doesn’t really bother me at all. I use to work at my local carquest dealer. I still get my employ price which is at cost. I know they will honor any warranty with a problem to. They just started selling the Spartan/ATK engines. Have you ever heard any feed back from people that’s replaced their original with the Spartan/ATK engine?

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No i haven't. Ive heard feed back on a few. Japsers Ive heard more bad then good. Years ago I bought one from I think it was auto dynamics and had good luck with it. I rolled the car it was in so I didn't get to put to many miles on it. I think I had 20k on it. About 15 years ago I worked at advance auto and I don't remember the brand they sold but it seemed like it depended on what engine you family you got depended on if it was a good one or not. I don't know if they still carry the same brand or not.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve heard good things about the GM Goodwrench crate engines, and believe that their warranties are pretty good.

The 350 in my 98 Tahoe was replaced by the original owner a little over four years (and 40,000 miles) ago with a Jasper reman. The front seal is leaking on it, and that’s something that shouldn’t be leaking this soon. Stuff happens, I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tdean91491

Something about an OBS
Reaction score
I’ve also heard good things about the GM Goodwrench motors also. The only thing is I can get one of the Spartans/Atk engines for just about half the price of the GM Goodwrench one with the same warranty.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve also heard good things about the GM Goodwrench motors also. The only thing is I can get one of the Spartans/Atk engines for just about half the price of the GM Goodwrench one with the same warranty.

I honestly do not see how you can get an ATK that cheaply. I priced a 383 short block from them that Summit lists for $2000. Having connections it was still almost the same $$$. Their stock 350 rebuild is close to the same money for a long block. I can get the GM Goodwrench 1-ton 350 Vortec delivered for about $300 less than the ATK with my employee discount from our sister GM store (I work for a Nissan dealer). I think even Summit has it on their site for $1899.

Tdean91491

Something about an OBS
Reaction score
I honestly do not see how you can get an ATK that cheaply. I priced a 383 short block from them that Summit lists for $2000. Having connections it was still almost the same $$$. Their stock 350 rebuild is close to the same money for a long block. I can get the GM Goodwrench 1-ton 350 Vortec delivered for about $300 less than the ATK. I think even Summit has it on their site for $1899.
The ATK will cost me just over $1,000 that’s with me already having my core out and ready to drop it off when I pick the new one up.

Curt

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Reaction score
Before putting a brand new GM crate motor in my 'burb, I did a ton of research. I've heard that reman/performance motors are a hit or miss. The environment that those motors are built in are inferior compared to the factory. Not to mention the tolerances set at the factory are going to be much tighter than a reman/performance motor. If you're looking for more power but also a plug-and-play setup then I'd recommend researching the GM HT383 (https://www.chevrolet.com/performance/crate-engines/small-block-ht-383). I would've went this route if SMOG wasn't an issue... damn Commiefornia.

I bought my GM vortec 350 crate motor from JEGS ( https://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet-Performance/809/12681432/10002/-1 ) and this motor will most likely last for at least another 20 years.

It honestly depends on what you want to pay. If you want to get an ATK or BluePrint motor the trade-off will be turn-key reliability. If you want to go with GM the trade-off will obviously be the cost.

Deathpunch0311

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought my motor from powertrainproducts.net It comes with a 3 year million mile warranty. Quick shipping and great prices. $150 to ship it to a business and $300 to ship it to your house. I got my long block on sale for $1300. Or you can buy it fully dressed with all the tins ready to drop in. I’ve personally have bought two motors from them. I have had no problems. Had 2 other people I know buy motors from them as well
The best thing is they a optional no fault warranty. For $350. Says you blow this motor up in anyway we’ll replace it.

As for the ATK/SPARTAN motors I have heard mixed things from them. I would avoid them.