Time for a new cam...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThaEdge

Reaction score
Well folks,

Looks like its time for a new cam for Wynonna (my 1996 Crew Cab Long Bed c3500 Unique Customs conversion truck and yes parking is difficult). It has the L29 and I do some towing. I have a 28 foot enclosed trailer that I load up with materials for (10klbs to 12klbs) and I have a 28 ft camper that I tow (7klbs). So nothing too crazy. The issue is that my L29 chewed up the distributor gear and I can’t imagine the cam is ok. So without taking the cam out there’s no real way of knowing the extent of the damage and if I’m going to take the cam out to inspect it I’ll just put a new one in. Which brings me to the real point of this thread.

I am pretty well set on a Competition Cams 01-412-8.

Intake Duration at .050 Inch Lift:212

Exhaust Duration at .050 Inch Lift:218

Intake Valve Lift:0.51

Exhaust Valve Lift:0.51

Lobe Separation:113

According to Zack over at Comp, this cam should let out about 30 more screaming bald eagles and turn 40lbft harder. With a steep torque curve coming up at about 1200rpm this should do nicely. But… Enough is never enough. I also need to put new dinosaur juice meters in her. The old ones are leaking. So im thinking, minus valves and rockers I’m putting a whole new valve train it, new distributor, new injectors, and while I’m at it I’ll probably just go ahead and throw a set of long tubes in it and do a cat delete. I did a cat back exhaust not too long ago, she’s pretty tame but you can hear the freedom when you find the go peddle. Now, here’s where I’ve sort of hit a stumbling block. She should be letting out the burnt stuff ok after all of this, but, now is my bone-stock intake gonna undo all the good I did on the exit side? If it is, then it poses more questions than it answers. Should I scrap all all exhaust stuff ideas and get a different cam more suited for super charging and go that route? I don’t know! I’m asking! I wasn’t’ ready to do all of this just yet but damn it, if have all this stuff off I should just change it. I’m not a fan of doing things twice. So budget is of some concern. I really only have about 2g’s to work with. I wanted to wait until the kidos where back in school. I would have another couple of g’s to work with. I can’t see her just sitting there in all her 2 owner garage kept glory!! I can squeeze a little more out somewhere I’m sure but you see the dilemma.

On a side note when she died I cracked open the valve covers and was shocked at how clean and new everything was! So I have all of the service records and this guy put Valvoline synthetic in all of her parts at 128 miles (yeah you read that right one-hundred twenty-eight) and did regular engine oil changes at 3k on the motor 30k on the trans, and 70k on diff. This thing is like new. The only issue is the old limited slip is tired and slipping, probably do to the fact that around 140k they put the wrong diff oil in it and that oil is still there. All the good oil in the world couldn’t save that distributor gear though!

Any thoughts and ideas are much appreciated!

ZRoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First off, great post! I'll do my best to keep the theme going I apologize in advance if I have taken too much literary freedom.

If you are worried about the vortec air dispenser limiting your screaming blad eagles you might consider using the money for the dinosaur juice meters for a new intake and aftermarket TBI arrangement. This would give you more control of the dinosaur juice and lightning strikes but you would still need the factory confuser blackbox to run the gear selecting box.

There are a couple of other fellas on this forum, one with a SC and one with a stroker motor that might be better able to speak to the limits of the existing vortec air dispenser. From what little I have gathered the intake and heads are well suited for truck applications and towing but they can tend to limit high rpm airflow due in part to the long runner lengths and the flow path in the heads. However, I think the biggest restriction from the factory was timing and a small cam. Both of which you should be able to resolve. I know the 0411 tune along with free flowing exhaust has done several forum members well, but I haven't seen much of a pursuit to find the ceiling with the factory parts. One small note, the factory intake does limit your valve cover clearance and thus your options for full rocker valve train. Not sure what you had in mind for valve train with the new cam, but I thought I would throw that out there.

Best of luck with your quest to tame more screaming blad eagles. I look forward to hearing of your journey.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

ThaEdge

Reaction score
First off, great post! I'll do my best to keep the theme going I apologize in advance if I have taken too much literary freedom.

If you are worried about the vortec air dispenser limiting your screaming blad eagles you might consider using the money for the dinosaur juice meters for a new intake and aftermarket TBI arrangement. This would give you more control of the dinosaur juice and lightning strikes but you would still need the factory confuser blackbox to run the gear selecting box.

There are a couple of other fellas on this forum, one with a SC and one with a stroker motor that might be better able to speak to the limits of the existing vortec air dispenser. From what little I have gathered the intake and heads are well suited for truck applications and towing but they can tend to limit high rpm airflow due in part to the long runner lengths and the flow path in the heads. However, I think the biggest restriction from the factory was timing and a small cam. Both of which you should be able to resolve. I know the 0411 tune along with free flowing exhaust has done several forum members well, but I haven't seen much of a pursuit to find the ceiling with the factory parts. One small note, the factory intake does limit your valve cover clearance and thus your options for full rocker valve train. Not sure what you had in mind for valve train with the new cam, but I thought I would throw that out there.

Best of luck with your quest to tame more screaming blad eagles. I look forward to hearing of your journey.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk
Right! So literary liberties are always welcomed!

I did a bit of poking around in the dooble-dee-do. Can't find too much data on the wind pipes wich is a bit alarming. Most just put 'em up for adoption and forget about it. Longer is good for my application though. As far as heads go the only thing I would like is greater vavle travel but not necessary. I would like to be able to let some smoke out of tires from time to time. I think the cam upgrade alone should do that though. I am intrigued by your tbi suggestion. I'll throw that in the brain and see what comes out. I am gonna do the confuser swap at some point. What are you thoughts on that cam gear? L31maxexpress said his was fine. I've heard other stories of this too. I would like to think I can stick a distributor in her and call it a day. What about puting a new one in and pulling it after 100 or so miles to look at it? Worst case I gotta put a new gear on when I get the new cam?

ThaEdge

Reaction score
My 5.7L ate the distributor. Zero damage to the cam gear.
Hmmm... I think I might get a new distributor and run it a few miles and see what the gear looks like! What's the worst that could happen? It tears up another gear and I have to replace it with a composit when I get he new cam?