Those of you running diesel bumpers with fog lite windows: I found one, but need some answers please....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DennisT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've admired the few photos here of those of you that run and like the diesel front bumpers that have the openings for fog lights, (I "guess" they were fog lights from factory). Today I found one. $65 Straight; good chrome; inside looks good too. Said to be from 1996'ish 3500, (1-ton). Was told it will bolt right up to my 1996 GMC K1500. My bumper is good except for one ding. Of course it has the rubber strip across it, which I think looks nice. As I suspect most of you that run the diesel bumpers feel, I really like the openings in the diesel bumper. Just begs for cool lights. I'm headed toward 1988/89 glass quad lights for my '96 primary headlights, at least for now. (The lousy little glass ones) Keep my '96 grill as I'm told it will fit quads with no alterations. Here is what I need to ask before I spring for the diesel bumper:
1. Will it truly fit? (appears to be only on with 4 bolts)
2. When I saw it I forgot to take a picture or measure the fog openings. Can anyone PLEASE measure their openings and tell me???? (Hopefully 4x6?)
3. Openings looked bigger than I expected, today being the first time I've ever seen one in the flesh.
4. What was offered to me has NO lamp mounts of any kind.
5. If I "can find," whatever mounts the donor truck had, can they be adapted to hold driving/road lamps?
6. If that bumper can be adapted to mount/hold 4x6 lamps, I've got a wild chance of finding a workable driving lamp?
7. Is $65 price fair?
Thanks for the help on this, Dennis

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1) If it's a same year match, or same gen (95+, some say 94+) it will bolt directly on. If it's an earlier bumper you will need brackets off the donor truck. I don't remember what exactly, but it's been covered here, do a search.

5) The diesel trucks use the holes for airflow, the bumpers only came with fog lights on the limited and Z71 Tahoe's. Same bumper, different application.

7) Yes.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
1) If it's a same year match, or same gen (95+, some say 94+) it will bolt directly on. If it's an earlier bumper you will need brackets off the donor truck. I don't remember what exactly, but it's been covered here, do a search.
Front bumpers mount the same across all years of 400's. (It's the inner brackets that change to fit the grille and filler change in 1994 - I know you were just baiting me so we could have the 1994-1995 debate again :D )

Richard

DennisT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Terrific! OK. 618Syn: So if I chase down a Tahoe Limited or Z71, and got lucky, I'd have fog light brackets that might be a starting point for building a bracket for 4x6" lights?
yevgen..., Thank you. That's what I was wanting to hear. So If I can figure a way to build/find a bracket for 4x6 lights, I'd be on my way, because it's the 4x6 size that keeps calling my name to fit in that bumper.
FrankC: what lights do you expect to install when you get your bumper ready?
Thank you all.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Dave (88GMCtruck) modified his with adjusters from, IIRC, some other GM vehicle.
I'm pretty sure he did a detailed How-To on that somewhere in one of his build threads.