I need a definitive answer...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gitarman33

Reaction score
Can any of you experts please give me a definitive answer on whether I can put the 88-89 quad head lights in my '94 work truck. Yes or no. If yes please be detailed in whats necessary to accomplish the job. I very much appreciate your answers.

Thank you in advance,
Chris

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Absolutely, you will need the grille to match obviously, go for the 1994-up grille so it will fit your existing 1994 bumper-to-grille filler strip. You'll need the park lamps and corner lenses for the grille you choose. Be sure to get the corner lenses for the correct year and brand (Chevy vs. GMC are different.)

The headlights themselves bolt directly to the core support; since you have the large sealed beam work truck lights you'll need the 4 bolts as well, if you're getting the headlights from a donor truck. 4 bolts each side and the whole bracket holding the lamp buckets comes right off.

The wiring will need to be modified; since you've got a 1994 you could get the whole factory front lamp harness from the 1988-1989 truck and replace your W/T harness with it. It's a little tricky but the front lamp harness separates from the block at the firewall on the driver side. Once you remove the center screw from the block and pull it off the firewall, then you gotta hold your mouth just right while reaching into the black weatherproofing goop with a small screwdriver or pick to release the locking tab, then out it comes.

Barring replacing the harness with the factory piece you'll have to splice in the correct connectors since the high and low beam function are now split between two lamps instead of combined in the single large lamp you used to have.

It should be considered that quad lamps from a donor truck will likely have seized adjusters. A member here was recently posting some excellent info on reviving these without damage; a quick search should pull it up. Here it is - go to post #14 for the solution. https://www.gmt400.com/threads/88-89-glass-quads-achilles-heel-the-adjusters.56004/

Richard

gitarman33

Reaction score
Richard!!

Thank you kindly for the time and effort you put into this post. Very helpful indeed especially the info on the core. I could never find an answer if quads would fit to my year core at all and now I did. If I may, one more question;
Can i just get a complete new set of quad lights from LMC instead of a donor truck?

Thank you for all your help,
Chris

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yep ^^^ then you'll just need to deal with the wiring, either get the harness from a donor truck as mentioned, or get the individual pigtails new and do a little bit of wiring work on your existing harness. It's pretty trivial to change the connectors but it might make more sense if you compare the wiring diagrams in the factory service manual for some guidance.

Richard

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Absolutely, you will need the grille to match obviously, go for the 1994-up grille so it will fit your existing 1994 bumper-to-grille filler strip. You'll need the park lamps and corner lenses for the grille you choose. Be sure to get the corner lenses for the correct year and brand (Chevy vs. GMC are different.)

The headlights themselves bolt directly to the core support; since you have the large sealed beam work truck lights you'll need the 4 bolts as well, if you're getting the headlights from a donor truck. 4 bolts each side and the whole bracket holding the lamp buckets comes right off.

The wiring will need to be modified; since you've got a 1994 you could get the whole factory front lamp harness from the 1988-1989 truck and replace your W/T harness with it. It's a little tricky but the front lamp harness separates from the block at the firewall on the driver side. Once you remove the center screw from the block and pull it off the firewall, then you gotta hold your mouth just right while reaching into the black weatherproofing goop with a small screwdriver or pick to release the locking tab, then out it comes.

Barring replacing the harness with the factory piece you'll have to splice in the correct connectors since the high and low beam function are now split between two lamps instead of combined in the single large lamp you used to have.

It should be considered that quad lamps from a donor truck will likely have seized adjusters. A member here was recently posting some excellent info on reviving these without damage; a quick search should pull it up. Here it is - go to post #14 for the solution. https://www.gmt400.com/threads/88-89-glass-quads-achilles-heel-the-adjusters.56004/

Richard
You must be registered for see images attach

You can use the older grille on the newer trucks just fine, the other way around is where you run into problems with bumper fitment.

I got an '88 grille on my '98, and at one point I had an entire W/T front end on there. It just goes to show how interchangeable these trucks are.

gitarman33

Reaction score

You can use the older grille on the newer trucks just fine, the other way around is where you run into problems with bumper fitment.

I got an '88 grille on my '98, and at one point I had an entire W/T front end on there. It just goes to show how interchangeable these trucks are.
What year is your truck and what grill did you put on? Love it